Chapter 10: First Storm

"Hoist, there's a car stuck in quicksand in the dense forest with humans trapped inside."

"Heading there now, thanks Medix."

"Whirl, there's a hiker stuck in the mountains who may have an injury."

"Copy that. Thank Primus I have Frankie with me!"

Medix nodded as he continued to monitor the cameras, looking for any signs of danger.

To no one's surprise, the island was currently going through a massive thunderstorm.

For this situation being all hands on deck, Medix hated that he had to sit out rescues for two more months.

But, he has proved more than useful while at the command center.

"Wedge and Wes, there are some construction workers seeking shelter under some scaffolding. However, it's starting to collapse."

"We're on it. Hotshot, are you nearby?", Wedge asked as he quickly made his way over to the sight, holding up the scaffolding to delay its collapsing.

"Cody and I are en-route. How many humans are there?"

"Six. Maybe seven. Your SUV mode should be able to-"

Suddenly, a loud crack of thunder cut Medix off, shaking the firehouse slightly from its sheer intensity.

Then, there was crying.

Medix immediately turned away from the command center to tend to his daughter whose crib was only a few steps away.

Hotshot's voice came on as he heard the crying, "is everything okay??"

With his mommy mode fully activated, Medix held their sparkling close as he commed back to his mate, "yes.. Starlight had a bit of a startle from some thun-- shh... shh... it's okay my little angel. Mommy's right here... mommy will keep you safe."

Hotshot almost commed back.

But Cody intervened.

"Hotshot, you need to trust Medix with tending to Starlight. Right now, we have to take these workers to safety."

Hotshot snapped back into rescue mode as he drifted to a stop, opening his doors to let all seven of the workers into his cabin, "all humans accounted for. You can let go of the scaffolding Wedge!"

Wedge waited for Hotshot to clear the area before releasing the scaffolding, converting to his tractor mode and speeding away as it collapses behind him. 

-----------------------------------------

Medix walked into the main room of the bunker holding a warm bottle of filtered energon, handing it over to his mate so that he can feed Starlight.

Starlight calmly laid on Hotshot's broad chest as more thunder boomed from outside. She stirred slightly when Hotshot started cradling her but relaxed when she drank from the bottle.

Medix sighed as he sat next to his mate on the couch, looking up at the rest of his team with an apologetic look, "I'm sorry for leaving my post and leaving you all in the dark."

"You had to calm down your daughter. That's a good reason to go dark. Besides, the job was basically done at that point!", Whirl smiled.

Medix was about to speak but was cut off by another loud crack of thunder, which caused the lights to go out.

That startled everyone, especially little Starlight who immediately let go of her bottle and bursted into tears.

Hotshot and Medix immediately directed their attention to their daughter as the backup generators kicked in.

With Hotshot too busy with his daughter to lead the team, Wedge took over, "let's go figure out what's wrong with the power, team."

Hotshot interjected as he saw his team try to leave, "guys, it's too risky to head out there right now."

"We're taking the tunnels, Hotshot. We'll be fine."

Hotshot sighed as he handed over a whimpering Starlight to his mate, shutting the entrance to the tunnels to prevent his team from leaving, "the power plant is fine, we can go check it out later after the storm. We wouldn't want to head over there and fix it only for it to shut down again because of the storm. The whole island has backup generators, we'll be fine."

Hoist spoke up, slightly changing the subject, "why are we even in a storm? Why couldn't the dome be brought out?"

"It's in need of some serious repairs and upgrades", Medix said as he cradled a relaxed Starlight, "and we also needed the rain."

"Anyway", Hotshot spoke up, "we just need to wait it out. Everyone is safe and in their homes. If an emergency comes up, that's when we can head out. Understood?"

"Yes, dad", the team said sarcastically.

Hotshot gave his team a hard look as a burst of thunder coincidentally struck the firehouse.

The speed of which his team sat back down could break records.

-----------------------------------------

As soon as the storm cleared, it was time for the bots to get back to work.

Medix rocked Starlight as he waited for the main power to come back on. His objective for the time being was to calm Starlight down completely, and, so far, he was doing a pretty good job.

"That was a pretty big storm...", Medix said as he held his daughter close, "I was hoping your first storm wouldn't have been this bad... I'm sorry that it scared you my little angel."

Starlight only responded with snuggling close to her mother's spark.

Medix smiled lovingly at his daughter, relief flooding his faceplates as the power finally came back on.

"Power's back on!", Hoist cheered through the comms.

"'Do you have a visual, honey?", Hotshot commed.

Medix held Starlight with one arm as he powered on the command center, "powering on now. I better not see anything inappro-"

Medix burst out laughing at the sight of his beloved team all tangled up in the many wires that connected to the main power of the power plant.

"Yeah... uh... could we get some help babe?", Hotshot sheepishly asked.

Medix giggled as he placed a recharging Starlight in her crib, making his way to the tunnels as he commed his team back, "on my way."

Medix immediately transformed into his vehicle mode and zoomed into the tunnels to go and rescue his lovable idiots.