Chapter 3.

I stumble into the main area of my apartment and stop as I see Amelia and Leo in the kitchen "am I still drowsy from taking those cold meds?" I ask, the two turn their heads to me as I walk towards them.

"A little birdie told me it's your birthday" Leo gives me a smile.

"You didn't have to tell him"I tell my best friend, she shrugs and hops off the islander chair, walking away.

"Did you just get off work?" I ask him taking in his work uniform. He leans on his arm that was bracing him on our kitchen island.

"No, I'm heading on a twenty four hour shift, I just said I'll be picking up coffee for my squad"

"And you stopped to see me?" I question him as I pour myself water.

"Of course, it's your birthday"

"It's not special"

"Yes were the same age now" he jokes and I roll my eyes.

"Yay I can't wait to no longer be joked that I'm twenty one and your twenty two"he chuckles.

"But I really just stopped by to say happy birthday before I head back to the station"

"Okay well I don't wanna hold you back"he steps forward and kisses my cheek.

"I'll make it up to you tomorrow when we're both not working" I blush as he tucks a stray of hair from my bun behind my ear.

"How do you know I'm working tonight?"

"Large ass calendar by your door" he points out.

"Okay anyways"I chuckle as we walk towards the door.

"You look tired, I brought over some chipotle for you guys to eat, get some rest afterwards Alright?" He says. I nod with a small yawn.

"Yes dad" he rolls his eyes, shrugging on his NYPD windbreaker. "Be careful please"I say and he nods. I kiss his cheek "see yea later handsome"I smirk using his nickname.

"See yea beautiful and happy birthday"he winks before walking out and slipping on his aviators.

"Amelia! You can come out now"I laugh, she comes back out with a smile.

"Okay I don't know what you two are but he brought me chipotle as well so, I like him" she says sitting on one of the island chairs. "And before you say you two are just friends you clearly are not. Friends don't interact like you two do so" she says emptying out the chipotle take out bag.

"I don't know"I confess.

"Well have you two kissed?" She asks, I shake my head. "Seriously?" I nod "what the fuck"I give her a look as I open my chipotle bowl.

"Amelia you ain't helping me here"

"Right sorry sorry. So birthday girl, what are up to today?"

"Sleeping"I laugh.

"Well I'll tell you one thing it sucks that we had a night shift so we couldn't have gone out or spent time with family" she sighs.

"Your dad would've flown in?" I ask her.

"No I honestly don't think so, just to spend my twenty second birthday with him for a day when the flight from California to New York is fricking far" I stare at her as I grab a fork from our drawer.

"So why decline my mothers dinner request? You have always been welcome to spend our birthday together since freshman year" I tell her.

It was true mom had invited Amelia to my birthday dinner this weekend like she had every year since I've known her and her situation with her dad.