Chapter 28

Nothing changed after Gabe and Laney's visit, except that they stopped bothering Ash. I was set to start classes again in two weeks. Damon has already paid for them, so I might as well get my degree. At least then I would have a stable job to pay him back.

Three days after their visit was the first time I heard from them again. It was 5 in the morning and I was walking home from work. Not exactly the safest conditions, but I was making it work.

I approached our apartment, slowing down when I noticed a man standing there.

I sighed in relief as he turned around. "Gabe! You scared me."

I pulled my keys out of my pocket, smiling up at him. I was beginning to come to terms with the fact that Damon would never love me. I didn't want to lose two of the most amazing people because of that.

"Liv, something's wrong," he told me in a strangled voice.

My smile faded. "What happened?" I felt myself beginning to panic.

"He needs you. Just come see him once," Gabe pleaded with me. He noticed my hesitance and continued. "Look, I know how much you're hurting right now, and you've got to believe that I never would've asked you this if I thought there was another way."

I sighed. I was going to say yes anyway. God knows I would do anything for Damon.

Leaving Ash and Matt a quick text that I wouldn't be home this morning, I got in the car with Gabe. The drive was quiet, being that it was only two minutes long.

We walked up silently to the penthouse, where Liv was waiting outside. Her eyes brightened at the sight of me. "Thank you," she breathed a sigh of relief.

I gave them small smiles, not sure how I would react to seeing him. "He's been alternating between breaking stuff and crying," Gabe informed me.

I held in my surprise. Damon never cried in the year that I had known him. "I can take it from here, guys. I'll come down to yours when I'm done." They nodded and shot me another thankful look before leaving.

I walked up to what used to be our bedroom, gently knocking on the door. Getting no response, I knocked again, a bit louder.

"For the last fucking time, Delaney, I don't want to talk about it." Damon opened the door shouting.

My mouth dried as I looked up at him. All the things I had rehearsed on the way over flew out of my brain. Damon was, to put it nicely, a mess. His eyes were red and bloodshot. His hair was disheveled, he looked like he hadn't slept in weeks, and he was drunk at 5 in the morning.

"Liv?" He whimpered quietly at the sight of me.

I stood there, unsure how to react. I didn't have to because he jumped into action. "I- I brought you chocolate pudding." He stumbled out the door down into the kitchen, grabbing a handful of cups and spoons.

He was rushing around like a madman now. "I have your ring. It's somewhere. You need to put it back on." He held up the ring triumphantly, grabbing my hand.

I flinched away from his touch. "Damon, I'm not coming back." I trembled as he came closer to me, cupping my cheek.

He frowned, not seeming to realize what I was saying. "Do you have somewhere to go? I can wait for you."

This was so hard. "No Damon. I mean I'm never coming back. This thing we had," I motioned between the two of us, "is over."

He stumbled back, as if I had physically hurt him. "No, no, I still have time. We had a year." He pointed at me accusingly. "You promised me a year."

I tried to contain my anger. He was the one that ended it. Not me. "Damon, you're drunk. Go take a shower."

He stared at me with his puppy eyes. "Will you be here after?"

"Of course, Damon." I couldn't say no to him.

As he went in the bathroom, I surveyed the mess in our room. Grabbing a garbage bag from downstairs, I began to toss any alcohol I saw. I started on the dirty clothes next, tossing them into the hamper by the door. By the time I was done, the room was back to the way I had left it. I felt my heart break at the sight of Mr. Snuggles laying on the bed. It took me back to that day.

When I had finished cleaning, I laid down on the bed, waiting for Damon to come out of the shower. I heard the knob click and I knew he was done.

"Look, we ha-" I almost choked as I looked at Damon. He came out in only a towel, grinning sheepishly.

"I forgot my clothes." He walked to the closet, grabbing a pair of boxers and shorts. I shrieked as he dropped the towel, slapping my hands over my eyes.

"What the fuck are you doing, Damon." I blushed as I willed myself not to look.

He shrugged. "I'm tired. Can we sleep?"

I shook my head furiously at him, despite that being a tempting offer. We both were a mess and looked like we could use some sleep right now. "Damon, how many times do I have to tell you. You made your feelings crystal clear for me that day."

He shook his head at me. "Liv, I was wrong. I do know now. Please stay."

I froze in my spot, not turning to look at him. "Really?" I asked in a small voice.

He leaned in a little. I smelled the alcohol in his breath, snapping me out of my spell.

I got up angrily, because I knew what he was doing. "Damon, you don't know. You're drunk. If you really mean it, then say the words."

He swallowed nervously, not expecting that from me. "Liv..." He couldn't say it.

I blinked back tears, cursing myself for still having hope. "Then we're done, Damon. Have a good life." I grabbed my things and started to leave.

"Wait! Please, Liv!" I paused as Damon called out to me. "Just stay for a little bit." He begged.

I sighed. "I have a few conditions," I informed him. I promised Gabe and Laney I would get him to snap out of it. He nodded eagerly. "First, no more alcohol. Not even a sip." He agreed easily. "Second, you go talk to Laney and Gabe, and apologize for putting them through hell." He nodded again.

"I promise Liv, I'll do it," he told me earnestly.

I smiled a little, going to sit on the other side of the bed. I could never stay mad at him. He motioned for me to move towards him, "Come here, baby."

I flinched as he called me that, and he noticed. "Sorry, habit." He mumbled.

I scooted towards him, and he did the same, until we were next to each other. "What are we doing to each other, Damon?" I asked him tiredly.

He didn't respond, just placed a chaste kiss on my forehead. Before I knew what was happening, I felt myself drifting off into the best sleep I'd had all month.

I was awakened by the beeping of my alarm on my phone. I blinked, trying to figure out where I was. I reached over to shut my alarm off, only to have Damon pull me closer into him. Our legs were tangled together and my face was tucked into his chest.

I got up silently, making sure not to wake him up. I heard a whimper and my eyes widened as Damon called out for me. "Liv. Don't leave me."

I whirled around in surprise as he began to cry. I sighed in relief when I realized he was talking in his sleep, but that was almost worse. Why couldn't he just say it? It was three words, that's all he had to say for me to stay.

I couldn't help myself, I leaned over to push his hair out of his face. "Shhh, Damon." I whispered soothingly to him until he fell back into a deep sleep, clutching Mr. Snuggles instead of me. "I love you." I said to him, kissing his temple as a final goodbye.

My throat constricted as I walked out of there, every muscle in my body telling me to go back. This felt like a real goodbye, and now I finally had some closure.

I guess some things just weren't meant to be.