13: Unexpected Bonding

A COUPLE OF WEEKS LATER

ADELINA POV

tumblr_incline_oyic6wLXMR1rqmlml_250.gif.

It was fascinating to see this change in her, this self-assurance that just radiated from her in waves

It was fascinating to see this change in her, this self-assurance that just radiated from her in waves. She's worked so hard. Staying strong through any adversary as she's been forced into two completely different universes...The life I've built has been filled with a new sense of joy since she joined us, her wishes and requests filling me with a new sense of purpose. She seems to finally be settling in, and I couldn't be more grateful. For the first week, she refused to leave the four walls I'd set her up in, the rest of the compound a mystery until she decided to take that leap and explore when she claimed the mint wallpaper of her bedroom to be the cause of her headaches. For three days following, she would only use the circuit of the first floor, most of her time spent in the library as she finally took a moment to relax and pick back up her passion of reading.

In the last couple of days she's finally risked venturing downstairs, the whole compound her oyster as she's taken up training once again--guilt evident behind her eyes from slacking. My heart hurt when I watched her, the ferocity in which she trained deriving from the poor treatment she faced in a previous universe, my guilt filling me at not being there to protect her. And although I can't stop my guilt from rising, I understand the headstrong blonde never needed me--her own abilities following her to this universe which she gladly demonstrated the second she realized. It's strange; myself a Heretic and my best friend being capable of telekinesis...who'd have thought our lives would have ever led here?

Now her shell has finally been cracked, Madison's introduction to my remaining family in New Orleans was met with a warm intrigue--Klaus and Kol particularly taking a shine to the roll of her eyes and brushing off of their flattery. Kol himself has been a mystery these past two weeks, almost hesitant in speaking with her and myself since he learned of our true origins. Although we've spoken on the matter, his eyes still hold that spark of confusion--whether that centers the truth in our knowledge or his own existence I will never know.

Yet, while I have been filled with joy over Madison's arrival, the two of us still to spend a minute apart since said event, I certainly know I didn't miss my best friend's stubbornness when we were separated. "It's not that big of a deal, Madison," I tried to stow an argument, knowing she wouldn't stop until she had the last word.

"Are you kidding?! You're not staying!"

"I have to--"

"No, you don't. I'm not a child, Adelina!" I narrowed my eyes at her use of my full name, "We haven't been apart for two weeks! And while it's been the best two weeks I've had in a long time..." She released a heavy breath, "We can't live in each other's pockets unless we desire to despise the other," I scoffed out a laugh at her pointed look. "Besides, I'm sure Elijah misses you--"