17: Experimental Spell

https://data.whicdn.com/images/316761400/original.gif.

A FEW WEEKS LATER

A FEW WEEKS LATER

My fists ached as I continued to mangle the punching bag, the short stabbing breaths I used while my hair whipped at my face providing enough distraction for me not to get lost in the pain.

It had been three and a half weeks since the remaining Original family had returned to New Orleans. Three and a half weeks since I threw myself completely into my reignited hobbies and actually managed to finish a song. Three and a half weeks since Kols' big disappearing act where he decided to ignore all forms of life trying to contact him while simultaneously hiding his position from any prying witch spells. I'm not surprised considering his affectionate treatment of the magical kind, I'm just confused as to why he's doing all this in the first place. I can't think of what sparked this--I don't even know at which point he left! Did he finish listening to the song? Did he leave before? Did he leave out of fear--or was it boredom? I just don't understand-- I mean, I thought we were close. I thought we were friends--best friends! I thought we cared about each other, even if it was developing into a deeper emotion on my end...I guess I was wrong about him reciprocating it...

"Whoa!" I hadn't even realized I'd stopped punching until arms encased me, my own body clueless to the fact tears had started slipping down my cheeks and alerted my concerned audience-- "Whoa, calm down..." Her soothing voice made the tears fall harder, pain raking through my body as I accepted her hug and just let myself feel the shock and anger and upset over everything.

"I'm sorry..." I sniffled, pulling back but refusing to let go of her.

"Don't be--it's good to get it out. I was starting to wonder if it was ever going to happen."

"Great(!)" I managed a scoff, pulling away and almost lunging for my water-- "I've just been a ticking time bomb people tip-toed around and bet on the day she'd explode(!)"

"No," Adie's tone was firm when she caught my eyeline, "You've been hurt by someone you obviously love and are so strong for managing to hold it together for the amount of time that you did."

I sniffled again, picking at the bottle's cap, "Thank you..." My voice was so quiet, so soft...The vulnerability in it almost felt foreign to my ears. "I just don't get it, and I know I'm blowing it out of proportion because of how I feel about him, but--...I thought we were close, ya' know(?) Friends at least. I thought I could always count on him and it took a long time to feel that sort of trust--especially for him...But now it just feels like he's thrown all that away for no reason. It just feels like I've lost another person...--I mean, don't I at least deserve an explanation?"

"That and more..." Adie's honesty shone through, the pity behind her eyes miserably failing to be hidden. "Look," she took a step forward, resting a comforting hand on my shoulder, "I have no clue what Kol's playing at, and it's killing me to see him upset you like this when I can't do anything to fix it--and when I do see him I promise to kick his ass on your behalf--But...He's still a good guy. And you obviously care for him, and even though he's not showing it, I know he cares about you too."