19: Contact

https://data.whicdn.com/images/208642162/original.gif.

I was frozen, my entire body numb and eyes already stinging with unshed tears at him just being here

I was frozen, my entire body numb and eyes already stinging with unshed tears at him just being here. All this time and now he's just here... "W-What are you--W-why--?" I couldn't form proper sentences, the shock of actually having to face him after all this time compressing my brain to mush and forcing my heart to beat on the verge of cardiac arrest. He took a step forward-- "No!" He froze in a panic, "Stay there, don't come near me."

"Okay, I guess I deserve that--I'm lucky enough you're not throwing me out."

I took a breath to calm my nerves before responding, "There would be no point, I do actually want an explanation for the radio silence minus one poxy letter."

"Then I guess I better explain myself."

"That would be a good start..."

Silence took over, my fists balling up at my sides to keep my tears at bay and demeanor strong. "I'm sorry I left without saying anything, but like I said in my letter--I-I had to figure some stuff out--"

"What 'stuff'?" I pressed.

"How I felt about you," the rapidity of my heart slowed, an annoying dip of hope bubbling in the pit of my stomach forcing it to skip the odd beat. "I meant what I said about caring about you. You're one of the most important people to me, Madison--to the point where I can't imagine not seeing your smile every day or hearing your laugh when I make a joke. I need you in my life. And that scared me because you deserve better than the bad brother going through a sober stint and hasn't killed in a few years. You're human, and you're good...and I left because your song made it real--made my feelings real..."

"You hurt me," I tried to remind myself not to get washed away with his words. "You left and I got scared you were never gonna come back. I thought I'd lost you--thought I did something wrong. A few sweet words aren't gonna change that, Kol..." I was grateful my voice remained level.

"I don't expect them to," he promised, "I just need to tell you this before I chicken out, push it down--forget about it."

"Tell me what..."

The words seemed stuck on the tip of his tongue, refusing to allow him to be that vulnerable... "I love you. I'm crazy about you and I didn't think I could feel this much as a vampire but now I have I wouldn't have it any other way. And if you need time--I'll understand, and I'll be grateful if you even still allow me to be your friend after all that I've put you throu--" The rest of his words fell blank as my resistance finally snapped, his distraction with thinking of the next sentence to say being my opportunity to stride forward--my hands gently clasping each side of his beautifully sculpted face as my lips silenced his ramblings. My stomach filled with butterflies when I was pulled closer, his arms looping around my waist. It felt difficult to breathe, and it was only then that I remembered I still needed oxygen.