Chapter 8

Perhaps, there is still some hope.

To say the next few days was awkward was an understatement of the year.

Jungkook was listless, never initiating any conversations with his hyungs. He kept to himself in his room all the time, only leaving when he had to eat, go for his gym session and boxing classes or to the company for dance practice. Even so, Jungkook was non-responsive to his hyungs. The hyungs tried their hardest to engage him in their conversations but each time, Jungkook would either give a one-word answer or just a simple hum to indicate that he had heard what they said.

Jungkook was also being exceptionally formal with his hyungs. Behind the camera, they had long since dropped honorifics with each other but Jungkook has gone back to his old ways as though he was 13 years old again. He was cooped up in his own world and reluctant to let his hair down (not that it was that long to begin with).

The hyungs were not having any of it. If they could bring down the walls of their maknae nine years ago, so can they again. They ain't going down without a fight.

They decided that the first step to breaking down any walls was to initiate skinship but who knows, their maknae wasn't appreciative of it at all. Each time when he felt his hyungs approaching him, Jungkook would either surround himself with the people near him or place himself in a stance such that no one could touch him.

Even when the members surprised him from the back and sling their hands on his shoulders, Jungkook would shrug them off and mumbled something to excuse himself. The only exception comes when there were other staff round, especially their managers. As much as Jungkook was upset with his hyungs, he knew that he should not draw unnecessary attention or suspicions to themselves. Often than not, Jungkook ended up having no choice but to allow his hyungs to touch him in whichever ways that they desired. But under their touches, the members could feel Jungkook flinched and tensed up. However, that spurred them on even more and they were determined to turn the tables around.

When the hyungs realised that skinship was not working, they decided that it was time to take things up a notch.

The dance line tried getting Jungkook to try out new dance routines with them, but the maknae was always quick to be the first one to leave the studio after their usual practice.

Yoongi tried inviting Jungkook to his studio so that they could discuss and work on music together but Jungkook would always excuse himself, "Not today, hyung. I have to work on my G.C.F. videos." Yoongi resisted on rolling his eyes for he knew that it was not true.

Namjoon tried engaging Jungkook into small talks but the latter would brush him off, "Hyung, is this about work? If not, I would like to rest now. I am tired."

Jin tried to start mindless bickering with Jungkook but the youngest was either oblivious to it or unwilling to accept his antics. Even those Dad jokes that Jungkook used to laugh at were a failed attempt.

Honestly, the hyungs knew that they had it coming. They were the ones at fault after all. They broke off the trust that the maknae had in them, as hyungs and as caregivers too. They knew that they had to work doubly hard if they want to regain the trust from their maknae.

On another hand, Jungkook wasn't oblivious to his hyungs' behaviours. Many times, Jungkook found himself almost giving in and had to fight the strong urge of running into their arms.

But Jungkook knew that he should not allow himself to fall into their traps anymore.

They only care about Jimin-hyung. They are only acting nice now because they want to lighten the guilt that Jimin-hyung is probably feeling now. Hell, they did not even ask how I had been during those days when I was away. And my boxes are nowhere to be found. The rubbish collectors can only dispose of items after seeking confirmation from the apartment owners. So that means hyungs really allowed it to be thrown away. They are not sincere in wanting me back, Big or Little, at all. It's okay. I don't want hyungs either. I will not let them hurt me anymore.