Chapter 1: Late Night Tears

A/N: This book is written in the First Person from your POV unless otherwise noted. Enjoy!

A few weeks ago, I remember lying in my bed, unable to close my eyes. I physically couldn't; they were too full of tears, so I just prayed that the shouting would end, not for my sake, but for my family's. But, no matter how hard I sobbed, the arguing coming from the kitchen wouldn't stop.

I'd always thought that my parents were just like everyone else's, I mean, everyone has arguments, right? Lately I've begun to question whether or not this amount of fighting was normal. My parents, Tina and George, have always gotten into fights, but had never let it come between them. Occasionally, my dad had to sleep on the couch, but even the "perfect family" can have nights when Dad's in the doghouse.

But this time, no. This time it was different.

I had always been closer with my mom, so I know when something is up, and she'd been acting very strange lately. Just burnt out, done with me, my dad, and my brother, Ethan. She would take offense at things that had previously been fine and would give us the silent treatment. She would mostly lash out on Dad, though. I really wish that she'd opened up to me; sometimes just getting something off your chest can tremendously lighten your load. After all, I am fifteen years old, I could've helped.

It was tough for Dad, too, to not take work home with him and such, given his stressful job. He had put up with Mom's out-bursts for months now, and I think he'd finally had enough.

~

Two days after that long night, my parents told Ethan and I that they were taking a break. They weren't officially going to get a divorce, but they had decided that it would be better for all of us if they split up for a while. It broke our hearts to hear the news, but something inside of me told me they'd been heading in this direction for a while, and it had just been a matter of time.

The real question was, just how split up were we talking? I remember when Kayla, my best friend, told me her parents were splitting up. Her dad moved out and took her two brothers with her, and she stayed behind with her mom. They switch for the holidays, though. Is that how all divorces work? I couldn't imagine being separated from any of my family members for that amount of time.

But little did I know that who I was living with was not the worst of my problems...

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of my very first book. Forgive all grammar and spelling errors. I'm so sorry it's so short, but I hope to put the next chapter up today, too. Also, I promise, you'll see Peter soon!

P.S. Please leave polite feedback in the comments (everything else can be kept to yourself) and suggestions for this book and books in the future!