Chapter 24: Love and Friendship

Y/N's POV

I cried all the way back to my apartment. At first, I was ashamed of my tears and told myself that he wasn't worth it, but I eventually decided that, if anyone was worth these tears, it was Peter. My best friend.

Or, ex-best friend, I should say.

I'm still on auto-pilot from our argument; I never fully processed everything he said. I guess that's one of the great things about being an introvert: not being able to process an excess of emotions immediately. Or maybe that's just me.

I log onto my laptop to book a flight back to Florida when I hear my cell phone ring. I'm definitely not in any state to talk to anyone at the moment, so I don't even bother checking who it is and continue looking at flights.

Whoever it is, they're persistent. Well, that's assuming that the first person who called is the same as the one behind the last four that I've received. Received and ignored. Hopefully they aren't important.

Success. Definitely no going back now.

I book a flight for this Friday, wishing more than anything that it could leave sooner.

Crap, I'm really, actually doing this.

Well, that's that.

No more auto-pilot, emotionless zombie.

I'm fully aware of my actions, emotions, and decisions.

That's just great.

I'd rather do anything else really, than sort through my feelings on this. That means it's time for the playlist.

What the heck, I'll put it on shuffle today, I think as I turn on my mp3 player. Music on, world off... 

I plug in a speaker and pull out my suitcase from under my bed. Still waiting for the first song to load on my archaic device, I stare aimlessly at the suitcase. Remembering...

The song begins, and I can't just listen to music like a normal person. It has to specifically relate to me in my current situation, because that's just my life apparently.

Waiting for Superman by Daughtry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFfvSzjLqeM

She's watching the taxi driver, he pulls away

Of course, I had to think of when I first met him. And this stupid suitcase doesn't help to forget about that.

She's been locked up inside her apartment a hundred days

She says, "yeah, he's still coming, just a little bit late,

He got stuck at the laundromat washing his cape,"

Excuses, excuses. How I know so much about them.

She's just watching the clouds roll by and they spell her name like Lois Lane

I check my phone and see I have an unread message from this morning. I see it's from the very person I'm trying to forget, but out of habit, my heart flutters.

And she smiles, oh, the way she smiles

Sometimes I really wish that feelings had an off switch.

She's talking to angels, she's counting the stars

She's making a wish on a passing car

She's dancing with strangers, she's falling apart

Waiting for Superman to pick her up