Chapter 10: We Meet Again

~Y/N's POV~

~Time rewind to right after she leaves Peter's~

"Ethan, I'm back!" I yell, into the apartment as I walk through the door. As usual, I get no response. By now, I know the drill. He's found some unhealthy snack to munch on while he plays video games in his room instead of doing homework. I dump my books on the kitchen counter and knock on Ethan's door.

As expected, there's no response to that. Blasting noises, grainy music, grunts, and frustrated mumbling are the only audible sounds coming from his room. Hearing no protests, I open the door to find my brother hunched over a game controller, not even blinking when I come in.

"What is it, Y/N?"

"Excuse me?" I don't and won't stand for any sass from this kid.

"Sorry, for what purpose have you entered my dwelling other than to annoy me to death?"

"I'm making sure you do your homework," I pick up the TV remote and turn it off.

"What!!! Y/N! What'd you just do?"

"I turned it off. From now on, you'll be doing homework in the kitchen until I know it's all done."

"But, Brad's online now and-"

"I don't care if Thor is online right now, your education takes precedence. You should tell that to this Chad person."

"It's Brad. Brad Davis. He's the basketball team's star player and my best friend. He told me he'd try to get me a spot on the team."

"Whatever. Even if you do make the team, you can't let your studies slide. Homework, now," I grab the cereal bowls, yes bowls, from his desk and head towards the door.

"Ugh! You're ruining my life!" Wow, someone's a little over dramatic today.

"Oh, well good then!"

Is this any less dramatic than usual?

Touché.

I dump the bowls in the sink, trying not to take what he said too personally; I know we've all been having a rough time, and all this closeness has been grating on my nerves as well.

I bang my head against the fridge door; is this really going to be my life now?

It's not so bad.

Yeah, you have some great friends to help you through this.

I've only told Harry what's happened, though.

Why Harry? You don't even know his last name.

He just seems like a solid dude, someone I can count on.

I need to do something, talk to someone. Peter's at his internship, so I don't want to bother him. MJ's got family dinner tonight, so I won't bother her. Ned and I aren't that close. Harry said he couldn't hang out today after school 'cuz he had 'stuff'.

"I need some air," I whisper to myself.

I quickly right out a sticky note saying, "gone out, call me if you need me", grab my mp3 player, keys, and phone, and head out the door. I don't really know where I'm going, but I'll figure it out.

An idea pops into my head, and I decide to go onto the rooftop. I take the stairs all the way up; although I hate cardio with a passion, I need it, so I pull through. And it was so worth it...

The view up here is worth a million bucks, like nothing I've ever seen before. I've never lived in a big city; Mom hates crowds almost as much as I hate exercise. But I could really get used to this. I remember, on my first day in Queens, Peter told me that the view was even better from another building's roof. I plug in my headphones and turn up volume on my Nickelback playlist, of course, to drown out all the noise, staring off into the distance. Picture that moment from "A New Hope" when Luke Skywalker's staring dramatically into the sunset on Tatooine. Only I'm scrunching my face and squinting, so it's ruining the moment and I'm surrounded by the concrete jungle instead of on a desert planet in space.