Chapter 5: New Friends, New Enemies

Y/N's POV

By some miracle, Peter and I slide into English before the bell rings.

This dude must have some kind of super powers, 'cuz I've lost track of the amount of times he's saved my butt, and I haven't even know him for a full 24 hours yet.

I mean, he's definitely strong enough to be a super hero...

Really, Y/N? Just 'cuz you live in Queens now, doesn't mean that everyone's a super hero. Who do you think he is? Spiderman?

I'm on to you, Parker.

"Barely on time, Mr. Parker," an unenthusiastic woman addresses Peter as we walk in, still holding my hand. I quickly let go and I feel the heat leaving my face. But I also feel the eyes of the entire class on the two of us; I bet they noticed us holding hands. Great. I don't need that kind of attention, and I'll bet anything Peter doesn't want it either.

"Sorry, Ms. Winterhalter," Peter apologizes and heads towards an open seat. Crap, there aren't any seats next to each other.

You aren't going to sit next to him anyway, it'd be too distracting.

So, you admit he's a distraction?

Uh, have you seen him? How could he not be a distraction?

I shove my thoughts to the back of my head and start walking toward the last open seat. It's in the second row, directly in front of Peter.

"And, who might you be?" I stop in my tracks as the teacher speaks to me.

"My name is Y/N L/N, I just transferred to Midtown, ma'am," I reply and turn to face her. She has one of those looks on her face that make you wish you could just disintegrate and become dust on the floor. Or at least wet your pants. But I'm not about to do either on my first day, so I try to remain collected as I take my seat.

"Well, then Miss L/N, don't expect me to go easy on you because you're new. This is the middle of the year, and as you must know, we are a school that strives for academic excellence," she's trying to scare me, isn't she? I hope it doesn't work.

"Yes ma'am, I understand completely," I say with a confidence that surprises even myself.

"You have your books, I presume?" her expression changes so that it's hard to read.

"Of course, Ms. Winterhalter, I wouldn't dare come to your class without being properly equipped," oops. Curse my stupid sarcastic sense of humor. That might have been a mistake. I can tell already that Ms. W doesn't and won't ever like me. Perfect.

"Oooh!" a kid in the third row is looking back and forth at the teacher and I during this exchange, watching us like it's a movie.

"That's enough, Mr. Thompson," Ms. Witch, I mean, Winterhalter, begins the lecture, and I do my best to hold in a laugh after reading the note Peter just passed me.

"Oh, shawarma! Nice going ;-)" I turn my head slightly to see him. He winks at me I barely stifle another giggle.

Peter's POV

Oh, crap! Did I just wink at her? Wow, she has a nice smile.

Holy shawarma, Y/N is actually amazing.

Dude, that's creepy

No, it's true

I never said it wasn't, but how can someone with that magnitude of coolness still want to be His Royal Nerdiness' friend?