Chapter 3: Welcome to New York

The three-hour flight flew by (pun intended 😉) (don't hate my love of puns, please!) pretty quickly with the help of f/b (favorite book) and my mp3 player's epic playlists; but that was only the first half of the flight. For the second half, I watched my favorite Star Wars movie, Empire Strikes Back (if it's not your fave, just pretend it is).

Once we get off the plane in NYC, I immediately become accustomed to the true definition of "rudeness". I mean, there are some seriously cranky people over here. A few honorable mentions from my JFK Airlines experience include: being pushed out of the way to get into a stall in the ladies' room, being whacked by someone's suitcase at luggage claim, and let's not even mention how many toes I sacrificed to other people's suitcases.

But, none of that could compare to the, um shall we say, vocabulary choice of our cab driver. All of his favorite words would have to be blipped out on any decent TV show. In fact, if he were on TV, he'd sound a lot like R2-D2.

Before we left, I looked up the proper etiquette regarding cab fare and tips, but I really don't think this guy deserves any kind of tip, so I neglected to mention to my father that it's normal to give them. So, the driver got pretty mad, and practically threw our luggage onto the pavement. Mine actually hits a kid who's walking into the building. He looks up, seemingly more surprised than hurt, but I still feel really bad, so I go up to him to apologize.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" I pick up my suitcase that has landed on his foot, and probably hit him in the shin, which I know from an intense game of kickball to be incredibly painful. I don't even notice that my dad and Ethan have already gone inside.

"It's cool, I'm used to it." I take in his bouncy brown curls and matching gorgeous eyes, and determine he's about my age. "Are you new here?"

"Uh," I realize that I am staring at him, and I blush. Noticeably. "Is it that obvious?"

"I think the suitcase gave you away," he smiles. Holy Hershey's, he has a cute smile. "Also, some random people, I think they were movers, dropped off a few boxes at my apartment last night by mistake. The address label on them was for across the hall, but when I tried to return them, no one was there."

"Oh, those were probably for us." Crap, did we lose our stuff? I wonder if he still has them, but before I can ask he answers.

"I still have them at my place, I can drop them off now if you like," this is the nicest person I have encountered all day.

"Really? That would be amazing."

"Yeah, it's no problem. Do you need help with your luggage?"

"I think I got it, but I have no idea where I'm taking it to. Could you tell me how to get to y/a (Your address) (I'm too lazy to make up an address myself, so I'll let you do that 😊)?"

"Sure thing! It's right across the hall from my place." He walks over to the door of the building and opens it for me. Not only is he polite, but he's actually a gentleman, too? I didn't know they still existed... "I'm Peter, by the way, Peter Parker."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Peter Parker," I say as I walk inside, closely followed by Peter. "I'm Y/N L/N."

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, too Y/N."

"You don't have to lie, I know your shin must be in agony right now. Not to mention your foot. Maybe I'm just weird, but being hit by a suitcase isn't exactly my idea of fun."

"Oh, you'll get used to it," he smiles, "it's what most New Yorkers do to each other for fun."

"Wait, really?"