Chapter 18: The Stark Gala

Y/N's POV

I'm so thankful I took the time to brush up on my etiquette, because this is probably the most formal event I will ever attend in my life. I had to whisper to Peter what to do in several situations, and discreetly point to the correct utensils for each course. Speaking of the courses, the food was absolutely amazing. I don't recognize most of it, but whatever it is, it tastes good.

I've somehow managed to make it through dinner without breaking anything. Or spilling anything on my dress. But that's not to say I haven't had my fair share of awkward situations. Like when the waiters came around with the champagne, Peter and I both said in unison "oh, I'm not old enough to drink." Or, when, before dinner began and everyone was "mingling", some random guy that seemed to know my dad, Peter, and May came up and started talking, but I didn't know what to say, because I'd never met him before. Luckily, Peter noticed I was uncomfortable and whispered to me that the man's name was Happy Hogan. He's apparently Tony Stark's head of security. I don't really understand why a super hero would need a body guard, but, you know, when you're a billionaire, I guess that doesn't really matter.

It got really awkward when Happy started flirting. With Ms. Parker. Peter looked so confused. My dad didn't notice 'cuz he was already in another conversation, although, I doubt he'd notice even if he was a part of our conversation. I was just trying not to laugh at both Happy's attempts at flirtation and Peter's shocked, confused, and slightly angry expression.

But none of that can begin to compare to the awkwardness I feel right now.

Well, mainly anger and disappointment, and a lot of sadness. But very awkward disappointed sadness.

Why?

Because I'm sitting, lost in some random hallway, crying my eyes out, thanking everything good I didn't have time for mascara.

Confused?

I'm sure.

~Rewind to right after dinner~

Everyone's making their way to the dance floor now. Well, except for a few token people who my dad's talking with, myself, and Peter. But even May's dancing. With Happy, to Peter's apparent dislike. It's kind of funny watching his reactions.

But like I said before, my dad's talking with his coworkers, and Peter and I are standing together not saying a word to each other. We're too far apart to look like we're together, but too close together for somebody else to approach us and ask for a dance.

Let me just say, one of the things I hate most is when boys are "too scared" to man up and ask girls to dance. I mean, for real, I'm Peter's date and he still won't ask me. I know what MJ would tell me: "Woman up and ask him yourself. This is the 21st century for crying out loud."

Harry would agree with her, and not just 'cuz she's MJ, or because he ships Peter and I, or even because he himself is a chicken and would greatly prefer it if the girls always did the asking.

"Will you dance with me?" I finally build up the courage to ask him, because if I don't, we'll be standing here all night. Right as I ask, he speaks up.

A smile spreads across my face. He was waiting to ask me? He silently offers me his hand, which I accept, and he leads us onto the dance floor. He takes my waist with his free hand while leaving his other in my own. And just like that, we're joining the rest of the awkwardly swaying masses in their trademark dance move.

"I wish you would've spoken up sooner, now we only get half a dance," I crane my neck upwards and speak into his ear so my voice would be audible over the blaring music. Though the song is slow, it sure is loud. And, as soon as we find a rhythm, the song ends