Chapter 19: All I Ask

Y/N's POV

I'm sitting here on the roof at midnight, freezing my butt off, too lazy to get up and actually get warm. I'm listening to Adele, because she is the queen of heartache/break. Well, her and Taylor Swift. But I don't feel like upbeat country breakup songs right now. Soul is just so much more wallow-y.

How could he have done this?

He promised he wouldn't leave me.

Stop being so needy, Y/N, it's not like he's yours.

Which cuts deeper, the pain of a lie or the pain of the truth?

I'll tell you; when the truth is that they lied to you. That they don't trust you like you trust them. That they never cared as much as you did.

It doesn't matter, anyway. We'll be out of here before you know it.

Well, what if I don't want to leave...

It's probably better that he did this now, before you were in too deep. It's best that he left you tonight, so you'll have time to heal before you go home.

Home. Such a strange word.

Often times, a person can tell the difference between a house and a home. Sometimes they're used synonymously. Sometimes, you don't know which is which.

Guess which one I am?

I've heard it said that, "Home is where the heart can laugh without shyness. Home is where the heart's tears can dry at their own pace."

Did I ever have that back "home"? Was I ever allowed too just break down, be weak, and be myself?

I thought I could, but the truth is, I never did. Ever since things started getting rough, I had to put on a brave face and suck it up.

I break down here all the time. I cry my heart out, because I can. Because, here I have a shoulder to cry on. Even if he's not here right now.

Is this my home? Is he my home?

I could never live without forgiving Peter. And honestly, it was just my pride he hurt. That's not to say that if he doesn't apologize, I'd go running back to him immediately. But knowing him, he's probably not too far off.

All I want to do right now, is continue sitting here in the 52˚ weather, enveloped in confusion and worry.

And then the next song on the playlist comes on: Hiding My Heart.

(Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibWYROwadYs)

Do you ever just turn on some music, and the first random song that starts playing describes your situation perfectly, and you just sit there in shock like, "wait a second, it's not just me," or "oh crap, I didn't know how I was feeling until this person just put it into a song"?

Well, that kinda just happened to me now. I mean, I'm listening to Adele, what was I expecting to hear? Happy songs? That's cute.

This is how the story went

I met someone by accident

I remember that first day on the street corner, with the suitcase.

Who blew me away,

Blew me away

I was blushing before I'd even said a word to him. I just knew he was special...

And it was in the darkest of my days

When you took my sorrow and you took my pain