Chapter 9

Disclaimer: the photo is not mine!

RUBY POV

             "Mommy" two year old Ruby yelled running as fast as her chubby little legs could take her. "I want to go with you" Ruby said as she caught up to her parents.

              "Sorry, Ruby dear you are to young to came" Her mother said patting Ruby on the head. "You can came with us when you reach of age. Her mother added packing up her luggage. Ruby pouted as she went to her father who was getting the horses ready.

             "Take me with you please" Ruby pouted as she cuddle her dad's leg.

             "You heard what your mother said, Ruby" her dad said reaching out his pale hand and patted Ruby.

             "But, I really want to go!" Ruby protested tugging on her dad's pants.

             "How about the next time I leave you can come with me and it will be the two of us" her dad said picking up Ruby. Ruby eyes sparkled with joy as she nodded. She hugged her father and thought of a question that was bothering her for awhile.

             "Hey dad, why must I wear this eyepatch" questioned Ruby as she laid her head on his shoulders.

             "Its to protect you, Ruby" her dad replied packing his own bags.

             "But its very uncomfortable and I don't like the color" Ruby protested reaching for her black eyepatch to take it off.

            "Ruby, you must not take it off in public" dad said putting on her eyepatch again.

            "If I do take it off will people think that I am a monster" Ruby said burying her face in her dad chest.

            "No Ruby, you are not a monster and never think of that again" Her dad said holding her tighter. "How about I find you an eyepatch when I travel okay" he added putting her down. Ruby jumped in excitement and ran around the carriage.

          "Yes, make sure that its red and shaped like a heart!" Ruby squealed running to her mom to tell her the news.

          "Mommy guess what" Ruby said while her mother was talking to her grandparents.

          "What is it sweetie" acknowledged her mother picking up Ruby.

          "Daddy is going to give me a gift" Ruby replied tugging on her mother's golden hair.

          "What is he going to give you" added her mother.

          "A new eyepatch" Ruby said with joy. Her mother just nodded in response and placed Ruby down.

          "We must go now" she said kissing Ruby on her forehead. Ruby waved goodbye as her parents left on their travel. The scene changed as Ruby was standing in front of a burning house. Horrified Ruby was frozen in place not able to escape the scene. She could hear screaming from inside.

          "Make it stop!" She thought closing her eyes and ears.

Scene changed

Ruby could see her grandparents whispering to each other. She could see her three year old self walking down the stairs. As her younger self got down she went to the door and sat in front of it. She was waiting for her parents to come back home.

          "Ruby come here" her grandfather said motioning her to come. Ruby got up and went to her worried grandparents.

          "There is something that we want you to know" her grandmother said trying to hid her worry.

          "What is it" Ruby replied with a smile.

          "Ruby, your parents aren't going to be coming back anymore" her grandmother said as a tear run down her face. Ruby just cocked her in curiosity as her grandmother broke down into tears.

          "Your parents are dead" her grandfather said with his lips trembling. Little Ruby still not getting the message just raised an eyebrow.

          "When your parents stayed at a hotel it burned down with them with it" her grandfather said as a tear rolled down his cheek. It took awhile for Ruby to realize what happen to her parents. Ruby's eyes started to water as she realized that her parents were never be able to come home again. She burst into tears as she climbed onto the couch to be cuddle by her grandparents. The trio cried for what felt like entirety. Her grandfather reached for a box that was on the coffee table and gave it to Ruby. She opened it up that see a red heart shaped eyepatch inside.

Scene changed 

Ruby was trembling in fear as she heard howling nearby. She was hiding underneath her grandparents dead bodies. Blood dripped down onto Ruby's face. She held her breath as footsteps came closer. In the corner of her eyes she could see a werewolf approaching her. Her heart started to beat rapidly as the werewolf sniffed her grandparents corpses.

           "Where was Roger" she thought as she heard the werewolf howl. "Wait....... ROGER!" she thought as she jolted out of bed from her nightmares only to collide into someone.