Chapter 22

Disclaimer: the picture is not mine! Warning some curse words!

GRANGER POV

His eyes stared at the movement in the bushes. It was coming closer. Ruby, who was in position held back her scythe.

       "What are you doing" he asked distracted from the bushes.

       "Its just a small animal" answered Ruby continuing to scan the village. Granger lowered his gun and put it back inside coat.

       "How did you know that it was just a small animal" Granger questioned her.

       "If it was a large animal it would cause the smaller animals to flee, also it would have more noise" Ruby said pointing to a squirrel nearby the bushes.

       "So far we haven't seen any red eyed figures" noted Granger disappointed.

       "We are only halfway through the village, still more ways to go" stated Ruby looking at the map of the Leonian's burned village. Granger sighed he didn't like this mission at all, but Ruby seem quite absorbed in the mission. "Maybe because it has something to do with her dream" he thought walking closer to Ruby.

      "You seem quite interested in this mission, is it because of your dream" Granger asked looking at Ruby.

        "Was it that easy to noticed" Ruby said blushing a little.

        "Yeah, it was" replied Granger patting Ruby's back. For the rest of the village, they were both in silence. They checked the surrounding areas of the village, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. "I should start a conversation, but I don't want it to sound weird" thought Granger coming upon the last building in the burned village. It was a gothic styled church. For some odd reason it wasn't burned. "That's strange" thought Granger looking at the gothic church still standing.

       "Hey Granger, didn't the entire village burn down, so why is the gothic church not in shambles" asked Ruby coming up to Granger.

       "I don't know, maybe it was built after the village burned" Granger answered walking up the steps to the church.

       "But, why would people build a church in a burned village" added Ruby following close behind.

        "Don't know that either, but I'm guessing that they wanted to build another village" Granger replied opening the double doors. "No, harm to take a look" said Granger entering the gothic church as Ruby followed him.

        "Wow, its so beautiful" exclaimed Ruby looking at the enormous stained glass window behind the alter. The moonlight caused the colors to light up the church. Oddly enough it was pretty cold. He couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.

         "Ruby do you noti-" THUD! Granger turned around. "RUBY!" shouted Granger looking at Ruby who was not harmed.

         "What is it, look at what I found" questioned Ruby looking at him curiously.

          "Nothing, just stay near me" said Granger walking towards Ruby. "What was that noise?" asked Granger.

           "Ohh, that I found a trapdoor, tried to open it, but it was heavy and I dropped it" replied Ruby nervously laughing. Granger looked at the trap door under them. "Well, this just keeps on getting more interesting" Granger thought as he and Ruby lifted up the trap door. A foul smell washed over them. Ruby almost gagged, but he couldn't blame her, he too was about to puke.

           "I hope we don't have to go in there" said Ruby holding her noise.

            "Probably, if we want to finish the mission" Granger replied stepping onto the ladder. The smell got worse as he went down. The smell was almost unbearable. Finally, he reached the bottom. It was pitch black in the space, and Granger felt like he would puke out all his insides. There was an unlit torch ahead of him. Lighting it up the torch it caused all the other torches to light up. Chills ran up his spine as the hair on his neck rose up. In front of him was..... a pile of children's bodies all dissembled. The bodies were pile up in what seemed like a ritual. There was so many bodies that the pile almost touched the ceiling. Disturbed, Granger slowly walked back.

             "GRANGER! there are people coming" shouted Ruby down the tunnel. Swiftly, he made his way up the ladder. Ruby shut the trap door behind them, and they hid behind two columns. Granger could hear men's voices in the distance.

RUBY POV

Ruby wanted to ask Granger about what was down in the trap door. Looking at Granger's face, she noticed that he was pretty disturbed. Her stomached twisted as the doors of the gothic churched opened, and two men walked in. They were talking in hushed voices, but Ruby could hear them clearly.

      "I can't believe that we have to clean up their mess, while our boss just sits on his ass" the one on the left said. Both of them were humans. Ruby held back a disappointed sigh, she didn't want to blow their cover. Taking a glance at Granger, she shivered. His eyes were dark and full of hatred.

       "Well Alex, we are lucky enough not to become food" the one on the right said making the one on the left, Alex. The two men walked over to the trap door and opened it. The men went down into the hole. Granger quickly left his hiding spot and went after the men.

        "Wait" whisper Ruby catching onto Granger's coat. He didn't even spare a glance at her and jumped down into the hole. Gun shots rang in her ear's. Cursing, Ruby rushed down into the hole. She jumped off the ladder and had her scythe ready, but Granger was there holding one of the men by the collar.

       "WHO ORDERED YOU TO DO THIS!" yelled Granger with pure anger.

        "Woah!, what happen!" asked Ruby franticly. Granger threw the man to the wall. 

         "Go take a look" was all he said. Ruby walked pass them and noticed that one of the man was dead. "What did they do to make him so pis-" Ruby couldn't finished her thought as she saw a pile of children's bodies. She clutched her scythe with rage. Ruby turned around and kicked the man hard in the gut. The man yelped in pain.

         "Ple-ase, I will e-xplain ever-ything, if y-ou g-uys le-t m-e-e g-o" the man sputtered. They both looked at each other for awhile, and then at the man.

End of Chapter 22

Hope you readers enjoyed it!!!

Bai~