wait wait wait

"So you're telling me, you're the same cute hedgehog that was there a minute ago?" Eggman asked with genuine confusion. The serum was supposed to make animals rabid, in what part of the experiment did he mess up? "... But how?"

"I dunno," The once small hedgehog shrugged. "You're the fat guy that kidnapped me shouldn't you know the answer to that?"

"Hey I'm not fat and whats with the additude?!"

"I-i'm sorry, i just haven't been doing so great." Shadow sighed. "My owner is kinda stupid."

The boy tried getting up by grabbing at the table and when he let go to stand up by himself, his legs wobbled not being used to them and he fell.

"Woah, you okay there." Eggman chuckled walking to him and lending a hand.

"I.. I think so." The hedgehog grabbed the man's hand and was up on his feet again but the weird weight his body held couldn't hold him up and he kept walking in a strange manner until again.. He flopped back down.

Eggman sighed. "We're gonna be here all day aren't we?" He picked the hedgehog up and set him back the table where he sat with his legs dangling off the side.

"Please switch me back again." Shadow pleaded. It's been about 30 minutes and he hated all these weird mobian features

"Sorry, no can do." The large man nervously laughed. "I didn't make a potion to switch animals back."

"Well, you're of no use then, I'm gonna go find Sonic." Ebony tried getting back up but he fell on his face, how was walking so hard?

"You can't walk silly, and i still need you to kill Sonic." Eggman laughed. "So sit tight while i go find the original serum."

Not listening to Shadow's protests and the fact that he got back up before falling, Robotnik walked out of the testing room back to his lab to sort through his potions and what not.

...

Meanwhile Sonic found himself walking to Eggman's house. He didn't know why he did it, he just figured he should since Eggman was the most miserable failure he knew and that's how he felt right now: like a miserable failure.

Once there, he knocked twice before Orbot was quick to answer.

"Ah Sonic, what a delightful evening, huh?" The red robot chuckled. "Would you like to come in?"

"Is Eggman here?" Sonic sighed walking in, he knew they were enemies but it was Thursday and usually Eggman was nice to him on Thursdays so he took that time to come talk to him about stuff only his enemy would understand.

"I'm sure he's lying around somewhere." Orbot shrugged. "What's the matter?"

"You wouldn't understand Orbot you're just some dumb machine." Sonic sniffed, he was still a bit teary eyed.

"Well, I'm offended. but allas i have no feelings because i'm just some dumb machine!"

"I'm sorry okay! I'm just going through some dumb teen angst."

"It's alright Sonic, i have something that might cheer you up." Orbot said. "Cubot!"

The yellow square headed robot came rushing in as soon as he heard his name being called. "Yes Orbot?" He asked.

"You know what to do." They had a plan to give the hedgehog his hedgehog back and the first step was to distract their egg-like boss.

"Yes sir!" He saluted and floated off finding Eggman in the lab and purposely made a fool out of himself.

"Come follow me." Orbot instructed before floating off into a hallway having the mobian follow him and they stopped in front of the testing room.

"It's locked." Sonic said pointing to the handle locked with a password. "And what are we doing here anyway?"

"It's not a problem Sonic I'll just type in the magic word which is Pickle and..." As he talked, Orbot punched in the password it being Pickle like he said and the door clicked open. "You can find out yourself why i brought you here."

Sonic stepped in looking at all the rejected inventions slipped in and the table sitting in the middle of the room but when he saw a black hedgehog laying on his stomach next to it he was a little confused.

"Did Eggman kidnap some kid and now he's his prisoner?" Sonic asked, head tilted to study him.

Shadow's ears twitched at the noise of his owner, he smiled that sweet smile he always did when he was a small hedgehog and would run to the front of his cage so he'd pick him up. He hoped to be a regular hedgehog again.

He got up on all fours and looked up at Sonic, Sonic looked back and was imediently hit with familiarity. For some reason, he wasn't sad about loosing his pet again.

"Sonic, it's me!" Shadow happily cried.

Sonic felt his heart warm up after hearing that voice, he's never heard it in his lice but it sounded so comforting. He'd fall asleep to it. Smiling with tears coming back, he couched down and brought his best friend into a hug.

"Shadow." Sonic sobbed burying his face into his chest. "I.. I thought i lost you forever."

"It's only been half a day Sonic." Shadow chuckled patting his head.

"I know, but i literally started sobbing when i lost you for 30 minutes under the couch."

"Oh Sonic."

"It's weird that you can talk now," Sonic commented, he liked his voice but it was still weird a small squeaking animal can now talk like a regular mobian.

"I know, i kinda hate it. but now i can tell you how i feel about your stupid girlfriend!"

"What?"

"Hey! what is going on here!" Eggman suddenly came in with Cubot nervously standing by his side cutting off what Shadow was about to say.

"I thought i told you to distract him!" Orbot yelled angry they interrupted some novella worthy drama that was about to unfold.

"Well it's your fault! You shouldn't let me handle such hard tasks." Cubot grumbles.

The three argue and Sonic gets up trying to help his once pet hedgehog.

"Uh Sonic, i don't i think i can-" before he can finish he falls flat on his face once again.

Sonic didn't have time for this, he couldn't leave a friend behind! So he swooped Shadow into his arms carrying him bridal style. "Hang on." Was all he said before jumping through a window and running off as fast as he could holding onto Shadow as Shadow held onto him.

...
"Hey, where'd they go." Eggman asked after looking up.

"Jee looks like they're gone sir." Orbot said with no regrets what so ever. "Looks like the whole plan of making Sonic's own pet lash out on his owner was a faliure. Ready to quit?"

"You.. You planned this didn't you!" Eggman angerly asked pointing his big evil and scary finger at him.

"Me?! I would never.."

"God, i can't believe my own creation would stab me in the back! Go do something useful for once and uh.. Clean the roof!"

"Alright, i guess it's my punishment for being such a rebellious robot boohoo." When Eggman left the room with Cubot clearly pissed the red robot grabbed a mop and hopped onto the ceiling.

He clearly had no regrets.

...

Sorry for making Orbot such a rebel. He still follows Eggmans orders anyway so don't nail me onto my own bed pls