"She's Really Trying"

The kids have been home for a week.
We've fallen into a routine, not our regular one, but I guess it's tolerable.

"Good morning." I force myself to smile at my wife as she shuffles into the kitchen.

"Good morning." She walks to the still steaming coffee pot on the counter and pours herself a mug.

I watch as she brings it to her lips, closing her eyes as she inhales the scent before she sips it.

"What is that?" She asks me when I move the folder I had been looking at to the left of me.

"Some work stuff."

"Should you be at the office?" She questions, frowning as she looks at me over her mug.

"No."

"But you own the company." She sits next me, glancing at the hotel drawing on top of the folder. Her finger traces our family symbol that's supposed to go above the entrance.

"My father is quite capable, even happy to be in charge for awhile."

"But-"

I raise a brow at her and she bites her lip, stopping whatever it is she was going to say.

"How are you feeling?" I ask her, my hand hesitant to touch her stomach.

"You can always talk to him you know." She says, obviously noticing my hesitation. "Or touch, I won't freak out."

"Him?"

She flushes brightly while shrugging. "I mean, I-"

"Did you hear that Nora?" I lean down so my mouth is next to Amelia's stomach. "Momma thinks you're a Flynn."

My earsplitting grin falls when I look up and see Amelia frowning. "What?"

"I like that name." She smiles sadly, glancing at me then looking down. "Flynn." She whispers softly, then sighs. "So, you think a girl?"

"Hm?"

"You said Nora."

"Okay, we've narrowed it down to Maizey or Nora." Lia grins and I mockingly glare at her.

"Maizey it is."

"Cameron," She frowns, "I really think we should consider Nora."

"You know why I don't want to do that." I mutter, lifting her shirt and allowing my fingers to snap across the large bump.

"Cameron," Her fingers thread through my locking in the ringlets and tilting my head to look up at her. "You can't stay mad at her forever."

"We are not naming our daughter after my mother."

"She's really trying Cameron, and I think this would pull us all together, and I actually really like the name."

I want to give her what she wants. I would love to tell her whatever name she want for our daughter is perfect because our daughter is going to be perfect. But the second I start to consider it I think about my mother, and the time I lived in absolute hell all because of her.

"Baby," I sigh.

"Okay," She nods. "Okay, I know."

"I love you." I frown, watching as she forces her smile.

"I love you too, and our sweet Mayzie."

"You just like the name." I shrug, "and I promised you if we had a girl we could name her Nora."

I don't miss the small smile that graces her lips as she brings her mug up and in that moment I realize we'll be okay. We may follow the same routine everyday but she also opens up more everyday. She smiles more, and talks more. And while it's not perfect or even ideal, it's getting better, and I'm grateful for just that.

"So," She starts, grabbing my attention, again. "Theo's birthday is coming up, I know, and I was thinking we should throw a party."

"A party?" I question, quirking a brow. We always throw a party for the kids but I figured we do something small this year considering the circumstances.

"Yeah, like with family, maybe having everyone together will trigger something."

"I'm not opposed to it." Yeah, I've been trying to accept that things won't change but I'm also not against trying things in hopes of her memories being triggered. "You want to do that this weekend?" I ask her and she nods somewhat enthusiastically.

"I think he'd like it, and I think it would be good for us."

"I'll let everyone know then."

"Okay." She smiles before continuing to drink her coffee and looking at the hotel sketches.

And for just a little while, my wife is back.
***
Sorry, this chapter is crap but  I'm trying to get back into the swing of things... Anything in particular you guys want to see happen...?