Twenty Eight

Nora's POV- August 2019

It was sudden and I honestly don't know how I did it, but I was able to get my vacation days to join Chris in Arizona for his rehab assignment. He had to report to the Class A affiliate of the Dodgers in Rancho Cucamonga at the end of the week, so we had a couple of days to ourselves.

Unfortunately, morning sickness decided to make its first appearance. I had been feeling great, up until now. My stomach content had been upchucked into the bathroom toilet.

"Bubs"

There was a light knock on the door, but I was unable to say anything back to Chris because I felt the content slowly creeping up my esophagus. The door opened as I leaned my face over the toilet to throw up whatever was unable to make its way out before.

"Just give me a second," I told Chris who had squatted down to my level.

"Take your time"

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes hoping this nausea would go away.

"Do you think you can get up?"

Just as I was about to reply, I felt a warm liquid going up my esophagus, so I scrambled up just in time to continue throwing up.

"Let me see if Sonia can stay with you"

"I'm okay" I assured him as he rubbed my back.

"I don't feel comfortable leaving you like this"

Right, he had practice.

"I'll be right back"

He stood up and made his way out of the bathroom. My legs felt like jello, so I decided to stay put and just lean against the wall once I flushed the toilet. A few minutes later, Chris made his way back into the bathroom, no longer in his PJs.

"Need help?"

"I got it" I answered.

That did not stop him from hovering over me as I pulled myself up.

"Are you going back to bed?"

"Not yet" I replied.

My stomach felt uneasy, so I was going to munch on some saltine crackers and some ginger ale.

"Go finish getting ready," I told Chris.

"Let me get you a bin, just in case"

Once I got my crackers and drink, I took a seat on the couch. He made his way over with a garbage bin.

"When is your next doctor's appointment?"

"Friday at 10 AM" I answered.

He nodded.

"Do you want to tell Nia?"

"She's going to figure it out" I noted.

Sonia was a smart girl.

"We can start telling people, right?"

"Not yet," I said.

When the first trimester was over.

"We can tell any remaining family, your teammates, and then announce it on social media," I told him.

"What about this?"

I pursed my lips as he gestured at his wedding band.

"You can slyly mention it in an interview, or we can just mention it on our social media. We don't owe anyone an explanation, but at the same time, we're not hiding this from anyone" I stated.