Forty

Nora's POV- October 2019

After last night's unexpected loss, I knew that no one would be up early. I did not want to get out of bed, but my back started to ache a bit and then my stomach growled, so I just got up.

Chris had been restless all night, and Gavin didn't actually come home with us.

I peaked into his room to find him passed out on top of the comforters. First, I checked to see if he was okay, and then I took his shoes and covered him up with a blanket. The whole room smelled of tequila and beer, so I cracked the window open before making my way to the bathroom to get a bucket and closed the blinds, making sure no light was peaking into the room. Before I made myself up some breakfast, I filled up a glass of water and got him something to deal with the headache.

As I was making my way out of the room, the doorbell rang. As I opened the door, I got a good look at Cody who was still wearing last night's outfit. His hair was all over the place and he looked like he had been crying.

"Can I come in?"

"Yeah, of course," I said.

As I closed the door, I got a look at his car parked in front behind my car. He didn't smell like alcohol, and I knew he was not a drug user.

"Have you gone home?" I wondered.

He took a seat on the couch and shook his head.

"I slept with Carol"

Uh-oh.

"Start from the very beginning," I told him as I sat next to him.

Food could wait.

"I went over to Clara's to tell her to leave me the fuck alone"

Good boy.

"And after that, I made my way over to Carol's apartment"

Pretty sure she has roommates, but okay.

"Sonia was at Dugie's place, and Bobbi was out studying"

An empty apartment.

"I don't know what made me kiss Carol, but I did and instead of punching me in the face she kissed back...we got carried away and uh"

I take it uh meant 'had sex'.

"Where was Drew during this?" I asked.

His cheek flushed.

"In his crib a couple of feet away"

I couldn't help but laugh at this revelation.

"He didn't wake up"

Oh my god.

"But we talked"

"And?" I questioned.

He smiled.

"We're going to give it one more run"

"Oh my god, Cody," I said.

He scratched his jaw as the smile got even bigger.

"How do you get a restraining order?"

"We'll get that handled today, you go shower while I make us some breakfast," I told him.

"Do I even have clothes here?"

"Yeah, your movers did a shitty job at getting all your clothes" I replied.

They didn't take his dirty laundry hamper in the bathroom, and some clothes left in the laundry room.

"I want to apologize for that. The reason I moved all my stuff out while you were at work was that I didn't want to hurt your feelings but I made it worse"