(1) DREAM

I stare into the swirling dark blue eyes that foreshadow my imminent demise.

Squaring my shoulders and holding my head up high, I refuse to die the cowardly way.

I want to vomit all over his crisp black shirt.

He licks his lips 1, 5, 27 times. His hands are clenched like they are grasping cutlery. A knife in the left, a fork in the right. He plans to cut me up in small, tiny, miniscule pieces and devour me with a smile plastered on his face.

Come at me, bro. I dare you.

Almost as if he hears my meek and impotent threat, he smiles crookedly and tilts his head slightly to the left like a vulture examining its prey. In a mere second, he is holding my arms forcefully to my sides; I am a victim in his vice-like grip, a mouse in glue, a bug in a flytrap, 107 different metaphors all combined to form a 19-year-old girl watching her life flash before her eyes.

I spit in his eye and knee him in the groin in 1 swift motion—the only way of defiance I can manage at such a proximity.

This does not seem to do much damage to his stone-hard body, though it does seem to further his irritation like a fly in the air.

His growl causes the room to shake and tremble, his purple vanes protrude viciously from his face and his pearly white canines come out to play.

Every fiber of my being freezes.

I'm terrified

Petrified

Horrified

and all the synonyms in between.

My heart is a balloon that has too much helium. A bubble with too much air. 1 more second and it will go P O P!

Despite the trembling occurring throughout my body, I refuse to show him my fear.

I will not die a coward.

I

will

not.

Gathering up all the courage I can muster, I look the killer in his abrasive eyes. My green-gold eyes glare into his blue-onyx ones. I smile cockily, knowing my small act of rebellion will only spark his fury.

In the blink of an eye, the swiftness of a breath, the passing of a second, I feel his sharp, jagged teeth pierce my skin.