(11) BONDS

PICTURE: Muriel's, New Orleans. This place is absolutely beautiful during the day. If you ever visit NOLA, you'll find it behind Jackson Square. 

The people below on the corner of St. Ann's and Chartres's are so carefree that I envy them. They dance, sing, and laugh like they do not have a care in the world.

Must be nice.

I focus mostly on 1 couple who seem like they are perfect for one another. Her red hair is in a stylish ponytail on the top of her head, accenting her petite pale freckled face. The bright blue form-fitting dress she is wearing makes her even more stunning. His black hair and dark skin are the opposite of hers, but they complement each other the same.

He twirls her around to the sound of jazz coming from nearby, laughing as she smiles the largest smile. She cannot help but laugh when he swoops her down and plants a sweet, loving kiss right on her lips.

I could not recall a time when I was that carefree. I had never had someone sweep me off my feet the way he was doing to her.

I wonder how much I will to lose with my new life. I am no longer the daughter of Samuel and Marie Collins. Brayden is not my brother, but my cousin. I am not even human. Everything I had once known was ripped away in a matter of hours. How am I going to face my Mom, the one only an hour away? Will I tell her what I truly am or will I keep it a secret and pretend like everything is okay?

I feel Kayde's hand rub my arm, snapping me out of my trance. "What are you thinking about?" he asks hesitantly.

He had taken me to a restaurant named Muriel's in the back of Jackson Square. It is a beautiful red building, with classy dining and excellent service. I decided to sit on the balcony, needing some fresh air. We have only been here for 15 minutes, but it feels like an eternity. I am unsure how long I have been staring at the couple.

I blink once, twice, 3 times to clear my head. "It's stupid," I say, shaking him off. "Don't worry about it."

He holds my hand and looks up at me. "Aisling, talk to me, please," he begs with me to open up to him but I do not even know who he is.

Something deep inside my big heart is pulling me to talk. "Is Aisling what you should even call me?" I start speaking my thoughts out loud. "I mean, Aisling was technically my cousin who died. I'm Annybelle Whitlen. Not Aisling Collins." I think for 45, 46, 47 seconds. "I feel like a fraud for taking her name. Her family. They couldn't even mourn her because they thought she was alive!"

He shakes his head. "I call you Aisling because that is who you are. Annybelle may be your birth name, but for all intents and purposes, you areAisling Collins," he smiles. "And you are not a fraud for 'taking her name.'" he says with air quotes. "If anything, you saved her. Marie and Samuel too. You gave a life to their daughter who isn't here anymore. They would have been heartbroken if they knew that they had lost a child. You saved them from heartbreak."

He makes a great point. If it wasn't for Annybelle, Mom and Dad may not have gotten passed the pain of losing a child. Especially Mom. "Okay," I consent, "that makes sense."

"Anything for you," he kisses my hand, sending chills up my spine. I feel at ease and I am no longer concentrating on the young couple below us. For a second it is just Kayde and I eating seafood pasta on a balcony.

I keep staring at his lips. They are the perfect shade of pink and irresistibly kissable. There is an electric charge in the space between us. I feel like our gap is too far apart.

I want to close the space and run my hands through his tousled hair.

"Why do I feel so close to you?" I ask. "I've only known you for a few weeks. And..." I trail off. He is rubbing my hand again, making all my nerves stand on attention in a good way.