(2) BOREDOM

IMAGE: (from left to right) Aisling, Elise, Mallory and Kameron. Image is from Pinterest (:

I sit up straight in my bed as my alarm clock shrieks in my ears. Sweat pours off me enough to soak a large towel and shakes consume my body. I should be accustomed to the dreams; I have them almost every night. Each time it occurs, I wake up with the symptoms of a heart attack. If this does not stop soon, I willdie of a heart attack before I turn 20.

I lay in my bed for a few moments trying to slow the racing freight train barreling through my chest.

Breathe in,

breathe out.

Repeat.

Breathe in,

breathe out.

Repeat.

Just when my heart seems to return to its normal rhythm, my door bursts open.

I immediately go into a fighting stance—though my attempt is morphed by my covers that I still have on top of me.

It is not the demonic killer of my nightmare; however, it is something much more terrifying: my roommate without coffee. With the look she is giving me at the moment, she appears to be a monster straight from hell itself. If I squint hard enough, I can almost swear that she has veins protruding from her head.

I almost want to go back to Dracula and let him bite me again.

"Aisling, GET UP!" Mallory yells, her hair a bird's nest of golden tussles. "And turn that damn alarm clock off before I break it!" Before I can defend myself, she chunks a small yellow pillow from our living room at my head and slams the door.

Well, good morning to you too.

...

After going 85 on the 55 mile-per-hour highway and fighting Monday traffic, I finally pull onto campus 11 minutes before my first class. I quickly dart out of my car, grabbing my black backpack and tattered copy of Pride and Prejudice and begin my frantic walk towards my psychology class.

Jumping into my seat as my professor approaches the podium in the 207-person auditorium, I almost don't notice Aiden laughing at me.

"What's so funny?" I ask him, my voice laced with attitude.

He throws his hands up in mock surrender. "Dang, Ais. Good morning to you too. I'm great, had a big breakfast, and am ready to learn. And you?" He spouts off sarcastically, but not without a small smirk on his handsome face.

I stare at his deep emerald green eyes and can't help but smile.

Aiden Harris is the closest friend I have. We met in 1st grade and have been inseparable ever since. He knows all my secrets, even the most personal ones. Aiden is one of the few people I can trust. He is also the most exuberant person I know. Aiden has the shiniest light brown hair that is always messy and adorable.

We are almost complete opposites.

His voiced carries and is easily heard from across the room, whereas mine is so quite I must repeat myself numerous times. Aiden is always the hottest guy in the room, and the most popular. His easily 6'1" frame towers over my small 5'6" figure. I look awkward in all the photos we take because of our height difference.

He looks like a Hollister model;

I look like a troll.

He glances down at the book in my hand and groans. "That book again Aisling? Seriously? Look, there's this thing called a library. It has thousandsof books to choose from. I can give you the address..."