(20) TRAINING

PICTURE: The Aaragon pack field.

Finals week was miserable.

For 1, I could not focus on the notes in front of me to save my life. I can heal the supernatural, read emotions and talk to my boyfriend telepathically, yet I cannot figure out how to study.

Secondly, I have been depressed since Sunday evening when I had to say goodbye—possibly forever—to the people I hold most dear to my heart. I am not sure if I am going to make it out of this war alive.

The odds are not exactly on my side.

Lastly, Aiden has been avoiding me. He has not text me since the weekend nor have I text him. I have nothing to say.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with no way of escape.

It is not like I can tell him my dilemma, he wouldn't understand. And even if he did, it's not like he could do anything to help the issue. I hated fighting with him though, if that's even what we are doing. I had told him everything since we were children.

Here I am at the hardest time in my life and I cannot not even involve my best friend.

The main thing that helped me through the week was the fact that I was almost done with work. And as a parting gift, the customers were extra rude. I'd been yelled at too many times to count by both customers and coworkers. Neither of them were correct, but hey, I didn't care anymore. I finished my last shift last night and already felt 100 pounds lighter.

Maggie was the only 1 who seemed to care that I was leaving. It wasn't like my coworkers hated me—I didn't think they did at least—it was more that they were envious.

I am free.

They are not.

I almost feel sorry.

I arrived to my last shift with a smile on my face: the first time ever. When it was time for me to go, Maggie handed me a red velvet cupcake and lit a candle. "To freedom!" she shouted as I blew it out.

I surely am going to miss her.

Now, as I stare at myself in the wooden vanity, my smile is back. Today is the day I learn to fight. I will learn more about my abilities and myself. I am beyond excited.

I will not be a weakling in need of protection anymore.

I am a strong, independent woman.

And I love it.

My hair is pulled back into a sleek high ponytail. I did not see the point in applying makeup when I am going to be getting punched in the face all day.

Mom would kill me.

"Aisling, you should always look your best," she would scold me as she fixed my hair. "You never know who you're going to meet. You want to make a good first impression, not look homeless."

Any other day I would have scoffed at her nagging. I have no doubt that we would have ended up in a fight. I would slam my bedroom door and cry about how my mother hated me, naturally. She would slam hers and yell about how I hated her. But now, I would give anything to hear her scold me 1 more time.

I decide on a pair of black leggings with sheer sides and a tight lavender workout top. If I am going to be moving fast and throwing punches, I do not think baggy clothes will be acceptable. Though, I would feel much better in an oversized t-shirt.

I hear Grayson yell my name from the bottom of the staircase.

It is time.

I jump up and grab my phone from the unmade bed and run down the stairs at a normal speed. I have yet to learn how to run as fast as everyone else.