(12) KIERAN

PICTURE: Aisling's outfit.

am on the ground.

Behind me are 4 cloaked figures.

They are chanting in a soft voice and that somehow makes it worse than if they were screaming.

I jump up from the ground like it is made of poison and start running.

I keep glancing behind me as I run through the damp, musky swamp. They are getting closer. I know what they are capable of.

They have already hurt me once.

Suddenly, Kayde is there fighting them off 1 by 1. I see him with his hands around 1's throat and his teeth in another. The third figure is laying on the ground, his legs bent at awkward angles. I know there is a fourth man somewhere.

I turn around to look for him but he is nowhere in sight.

Suddenly, there are sharp knives in my neck.

I scream

and scream

and scream out in anguish but no sound follows.

The culprit turns me around and, even though his face is covered in blood and protruding veins, I can tell that it is Kayde.

"I've waited a long time for this, my love," he hisses. "Don't worry. It won't hurt for much longer."

He gives me a wicked smile and sticks his teeth back in my neck.

...

I sit up straight in the bed, fighting to get the covers off me. My hand goes reflexively to my neck but I do not feel any puncture wounds or blood.

It was just a dream.

I hear a knock at my door.

Without waiting for me to answer, Adeline sticks her head in. "Breakfast is ready," she says with a smile and closes the door.

Apparently,this nightmare is not a dream.

I cover my face with my hands and count to 5.

On 5, I think, you will get up and start the day. You can do this.

1. I am holding back tears.

2. I press my hands harder into my face.

3. Kayde wanted to kill me.

4. I will be fine.

5. I push the covers off my sweaty body and stand up.

Today is a new day. It was only a dream. He would never kill me.

Right?

I walk into my closet to find something to wear. What do tribrids even wear? Should I be prepared for a nice day or a day to fight off witches trying to kill me?I laugh at my thoughts.

2 days ago, I was worried about passing biology.

That's cake compared to this.

Sighing, I decide to go with casual. I pick out a light blue skirt and a white oversized crop top. Pairing it with pearl studs and tan sandals, I walk to the vanity. I don't see 1 drug store makeup brand. It is all Clinique, MAC, Urban Decay, and the like.

They must be loaded. I can't even afford this makeup.

Shrugging, I decide to place some mascara on my lashes and brush on a thin layer of powder over my face. A clear Chapstick sets the look perfectly.