(21) AIDE

PICTURE: Genevieve's grimoire to Aisling.

"Don't hold back on me, Ais. I'm a big boy. I can take it like one."

We have been fighting for 12 minutes now and the sun is starting to go down. Aiden is taunting and practically begging me to hurt him. He knows, maybe even more than I do, how strong I am. He knows that I can predict every move he makes. But almost as if he is in my head, he matches me step for step.

He steps towards me, arms in front of his face. I can see that he is going to throw a left-handed punch to my eye. He knows that I do not protect that area often. I wait until he swings and drop down low. Instantly, before he can kick me in the face, I stand up.

"You're fast Ais. I'll give you that. But I've had a lot more training and I've known you for too long," he taunts.

"You have had a lot more training, Aide. But we both know that I've always caught on quicker. You're a pretty slow learner." All throughout school, Aiden has had to study extra hard to get the grades I do. He is not dumb, not even close, but it does take him a while to get the information all the way. I, on the other hand, can see a page once and have it committed to memory. He calls it cheating; I call it an advantage.

"This isn't notes to psychology!" Aiden laughs at me. "This is combat. You can't just memorize a page and have it perfect."

I throw the next punch, but Aiden ducks in enough time to miss the hit. I huff.

I hear whistles and yells from all around us.

We have drawn a crowd.

Perfect.

"Look, Aide. Everyone's came to watch you get your pride handed to you," I tease. He is going to kick me next. I catch his leg in mid-air and twist. He lets out a loud yelp and falls to the ground. But before I can reach him, he stands up. His smile is even bigger than

before.

"Nice play. But you won't get another one."

He obviously knows my moves because I am a beginner. I do not know any other tricks than the ones I picked up today. I immediately run through the moves I have seen other people pull on television.

And I finally have an idea.

But apparently, I am too sidetracked. I feel a strong hand connect with my cheek and I fall to the ground. Reaching up with my hand, I feel the slimy, warm blood seep down my face.

Aiden's eyes grow about 10x their normal size. He begins to apologize but I do not wait to hear it. I trigger my supernatural strength and pretend to throw a punch at his face. He is expecting it and I see him go to block me. Little does he know that he is wasting his energy. I zoom around to his back. I remembered reading somewhere that girls with no muscles are better off using their elbows with an attacker.

I jam my left elbow in between his shoulder blades, making him cry out. Aiden turns around swiftly and his beautiful eyes are no longer the color of an evergreen tree.

He has captured the sun and replaced his green eyes with its glow. The moon is angry, dulling in comparison to the brilliant orbs in his eyes.

I have to end this before he gets truly mad.

Taking a quick look at his stance, I see that his arms are less stern than before. He is protecting his abdomen, leaving his chest and face clear. He thinks I am going for his ribs. Usually, he would be right. Instead, I gather every penny of strength I have in my small body and pull my elbow back.