(14) THE AARAGON PACK

PICTURE: FAWN'S HOME.

When Grayson drives us off the road and onto a winding dirt road, I think it is strange. But when, 11 minutes later, we come to a dead end and he stops the car, I think he has absolutely lost his mind.

There is not a path in sight, not to mention a road.

When he turns the pearl white Audi TT off and gets out of the vehicle, I am determined that he brought me out here to kill me.

Before I realize it, he is opening my car door and extending out his hand. "Come on, love, we don't have all day," he says with an impatient smirk.

"You know, this is the scene in almost every horror movie," I eye him wearily.

"If I wanted to kill you, I would have already. You should trust me. You are my daughter. I would never lay a hand on you." I stare at his outstretched arm. He rolls his eyes irritably. I have finally learned where I get my lack of patience from.

Deciding that I will die either way, I accept his offer and step out of the luxurious coupe.

We drove most of the ride in silence, listening to the soft purr of the car's engine. I didn't have much to say to him and, honestly, I was worrying about Kayde. I hated that. I deserved the right to be mad. He wanted to kill me. I should be even more mad than I am. But if someone killed my Mom, I would have wanted revenge too.

"We have to walk the rest of the way," Grayson says. "It's only about a mile." He begins walking to the right and disappears into the woods. I follow suit, knowing I do not have much of a choice.

We walk for a fourth of the mile before I break the silence. "Why did you do it?" I ask.

He doesn't even blink."Well, love, she was a vampire, for one," he looks at me. "Wolves and vampires do not get along, they're practically arch enemies."

"But you are both and we are going to see your pack?"

He nods. "They respect me because I was born a wolf. It's different. I earned their trust before I was turned. Anyway, I killed Sophia because she posed a threat."

I impatiently wait for him to go on. I need an explanation. He obliges after a moment of silence.

"It was in London in 1948. I was part of a very powerful pack with a powerful alpha. We were feared by all but loved by many. We were known across Europe as the 'Killer Pack,'" he chuckles at the name. "Our alpha wanted power more than anything in the world. He even threw his own son into battle at the age of thirteen to gain more territory," his smile fades to a scowl. He must have known the alpha's son well.

"We were sent on an errand to kill a vampire who was causing trouble on the outskirts of the city. I was forty-one at the time," he continues and reminisces for a moment. "She was a nasty one, that woman. We had all the vampires obeying to our commands, witches too. They all feared us. But she decided to fight. She was forming an army to attack and our alpha heard about it.

"We set out to kill her and managed to take out half of her army before she got to him." He stops talking and bites his lip. "We had no choice but to kill her. She had killed our leader, after all," he says like it makes all the sense in the world. I can tell that it doesn't bother him 1 bit that he killed someone.

"So you killed someone and started a century long war because someone didn't bow down to you?" I scoff.

He is amused. "You do what you have to do to gain control, love. Power is everything."