ANECDOTE CHAPTER 1

"ENOUGH!"

Everyone in the room drops what they are doing instantly. 5 pair of wide eyes snap in my direction in 1 second.

1 second is all it takes to have their attention in my hands.

1 second is all it takes for every blood vessel in my body to crack, pop, burst.

1 second is all it takes for me to snap.

"This ends now, Grayson," I say through my rigid jaw.

My green-eyed father only stares at me, unphased, unshaken, unbothered.

Henry, Kayde, Kenny and Bruno step back 1, 2, 3, steps and look away awkwardly. They always seemed to do this when I yelled at Grayson. Considering that no one yelled at Grayson and got away with it often, I sort of understood.

But I am tired.

I am tired of hurting people.

I am tired of killing people.

I am tired of being Grayson's little pet project.

Not much has changed since 3 months ago.

Grayson has had me in the same abandoned building that we were in when I met Keaton for the 1sttime every weekend for over 4 months. School or no school, I was here. With my father. Battling the supernaturals of New Orleans. It was getting hard to write 2 papers a week with this crazy schedule.

Every day was the same. Grayson would bring in a supernatural being—witch, vampire, wolf, you name it—and throw them at my feet like scraps.

"Heal them," he would say and step back to watch like the sick, demented person he is.

Each time was better than the last. And, at first, I was excited.

I could cure!

I could make the world a better place.

I could make a difference.

And then I realized that most of the supernaturals being brought to me were not in Grayson's grip by chance.

"Where do you find these many supernaturals everyday?" Henry asked 1 day during out "training."

I expected Grayson to say that there was a club with a sign reading "Supernaturals Welcome!" in bright red neon lights or maybe that he just asked around.

However, I did not expect the 1stthing that came out of his mouth.

"On the street."

My eyes were the size of saucers. "You mean that there are this many supernaturals on the street?" I asked in astonishment.

Grayson looked at his nailbeds and huffed. "There are if you make them."

The room was eerily silent as we stood and stared at each other. Finally, realization kicked in and I lost my mind immediately. "Wait...you mean that youchanged them? Every single one of them?"

"Yes," Grayson answered my inquisition with 1 syllable.

1 word

1 answer

1 tiny sentence

to explain all the wrong things he has done.

"What the hell?" I yelled and was instantly in his face. He didn't even flinch. "How could you...mur...take...change," I struggled to find the right word to describe the situation, "that many people. I killed them! Innocent people!"