(4) HOME

"Ais, I'm telling you. There is no way Cat Woman would beat Bat Girl in a fight."

Aiden and I have been arguing over one simple thing I said over 15 minutes ago. "Aide. Come on. She's Cat Woman. Bat Girl has no chance."

He huffs, swears, finally gives up. "Aisling Collins. One day you will let me win an argument," he sulks.

"Well if you would make a valid point every now and then, I wouldn't always have to disagree," I respond back.

We are eating lunch while we wait for our next class of the day in the university cafeteria. Aiden picks up a slice of my pizza and takes a humungous bite.

He eats like an animal.

"See? You got me all riled up and I haven't been able to eat my delicious Italian dish!" he play yells.

I scoff. "Aiden. You've eaten four pieces and now you're on mine. You won't starve, I promise."

"I might. And then you'll be upset because your best friend is dead. You will have to go to my funeral and feel bad because you denied me the right to eat," he blubbers.

"What makes you think I'm going to your funeral?"

"Yeah, right. You'll bury yourself alive with me."

I roll my eyes at him and check my phone. 1:23. I should get going to make it across campus for my 1:45 class. Standing up, I grab my plate that has half a piece of ham and pineapple pizza on it—my favorite. "Gotta go. I'll see you later, right? You are coming over before we head home, right?"

"Yeah, I'll meet you at your house," he mumbles with a mouth full of food.

"Aide. That's disgusting," I say in a fit of laughter. He looks so much like a child.

"But you love it," he yells as I walk away, causing half of the student body to look at me.

...

I walk into my Biology class and take my normal seat on the edge of the aisle near the front. I arrive semi-early today and decide to get a little reading in before class starts. But I can hardly focus.

My thoughts have been consumed mostly of Kayde for the last week. Those blue eyes are hard to forget. I am also haunted by the vision I saw. I deemed myself boy crazy after that night because what else explained the idiocy?

Something makes me look up and it is not the 56-year-old professor making his way to the front of the room.

My breath catches in my throat and forms a ball that I cannot swallow.

He is in my classroom.

3 rows back.

1 section away.

198 students and it is this blue eyed, black haired, sculpted man that catches my eye and makes my heart do hundreds of little backflips in the blink of an eye.

Kayde smiles at me and waves as if saying hello to an old friend. I awkwardly wave back and beg my heart to please please please try to stop breaking out of my chest; I need it to stay where it is.

The rest of the class was spent with me failing to pay attention to the notes on meiosis and stealing glances at Kayde—who is always looking at me. So, when Dr. Doran dismisses us, I am the first one out of the auditorium. I walk to the fountain in the front of school and sit on one of the black metal benches waiting for my next class.