(23) REUNITED

PICTURE: The basement. 

"Dammit, Keaton! I'm running out of patience," Kayde's voice resonates throughout the room for the 100th time.

Also for the 100th time, Keaton rolls his eyes in return. "I'm not telling you any more than I already have. A few cuts and bruises won't kill me." He nonchalantly picks at his fingernails, not even bothering to look at his brother.

They have been at this for days now. They've even taken turns: Kayde has him 1 day, Grayson the next, then Kieran, and even Henry. Each day, 1 of them comes down to the creepy, dusty, dark basement that lives under Grayson and Adeline's home and tortures Keaton until he passes out.

And it's getting us nowhere.

Keaton has only told us what we already know: that the witches and the Rhys' family is after us.

He's been no help what's-so-ever.

I'm still training—sort of—on the bright side. All the egotistical men in this house are too set on beating the life out of Keaton to help me train properly, however. So, Adeline has been my mentor for the past 2 weeks but she is running errands most of the time. For what? I have no clue.

Mostly, I've spent my time reading Genevieve's diary. She has provided me with more information than any of the guys have—at least about my abilities. Being the only 1 with any kind of witch blood, it's been a little hard to find direction lately.

Especially since my kind wants me dead.

I am convinced Genevieve's diary was written for me. There are more details about my life than her own. It also holds techniques, pointers, and explanations about what I am.

Her powers are a great thing in this time of turmoil, she writes, but I worry that they will cause more trouble than good. Aisling does not know how to control them and, even with the protection spell, I fear they will outsmart her.

And she isn't far off from the truth.

Ever since I took my ring off when Keaton attacked me (which I've kept in my pocket ever since), I've felt stronger, more vibrant, more powerful.

Alive.

It's like the ring itself has been holding back another side of me that I have never seen—a side that was gnawing, thrashing, slashing from the inside to be set free.

I never imagined that I would feel this great.

I can practically feel the electricity running through my veins, up and down my bloodstream, into my fingers and toes.

I feel like I can do anything,

be anything.

And it's enrapturing,

exhilarating,

all-consuming.

But I worry that I will return to the power-hungry witch that I was when I was defending myself in the warehouse. It was so hard to stop myself then. How can I be sure I can stop myself the next time?

I've noticed my gifts already working on their own. For example, I wanted the lights turned off 1 night when I was falling asleep in my bed while reading Genevieve's diary. The next thing I knew, the lights were off.

It seems small, but I'm afraid it will progress to more before I realize it and I will lose complete control.

My biggest fear is losing control and not being able to come back.

I have yet to confess this to Kayde. He's too preoccupied with Keaton for me to try and tell him. I keep it hidden in my mind and try

to not think about it. The last thing he needs is more stress.