00.

Elizandra Leah Beaumont considers herself a realist. From the age of six she lived with her uncle Brady after the passing of both her parents. Or, as it was known to the public: a homocide. A "serial killer on the loose" But Elizandra and Brady knew the truth ...
Vampires.
Elizandra carried the supernatural gene that both her parents carried, so it was no surprise she carries it as well.
Her parents never succumbed to their hereditary. They never believed in taking a life to wake the gene.
Brady Beaumont on the other hand triggered his when he took the life of his girlfriend when he was nineteen years old; driving under the influence.
Brady respected his brother's and sister-in-law's beliefs but he didn't feel guilty when Elizandra triggered the gene. She was an adventurous thirteen year old yearning for her next thrill. In their small town in Canada, there was an old "haunted" house sitting at the end of her street. To adults, it was dangerous for anyone on the grounds but to the younger minds, it was a challenge. One late night she snuck out with a friend, Brian. The two teens ventured inside – except, Brian had only gone inside because Elizandra 'double-dog-dared' him and called him 'chicken'. They had gone up the stairs and when a bird startled them in the dark, Brian panicked. He tripped and fell down the stairs.
He suffered a broken spine and multiple head injuries before succumbing to his death a week later when Doctors confirmed there was nothing they could do. Elizandra had forced him inside, therefore, the blood was on her hands.
Brady moved them to Seattle, Washington where they continued to reside. When rumors of the Original Family were seen settling in Mystic Falls, they couldn't help but see for themselves.