17.

Brady opens the car door for Elizandra. She steps down and tugs at the sleeves of her dress.

"I still don't understand why we have to attend the funeral of the cult — "

"The council." Brady corrected.

"Same thing," She barked. "They held us hostage. They died. Good riddance."

"Enough. We're not here for the service. Stefan asked for our help; keep an eye on Elena. Said there's a new vampire hunter in town."

"And with Elena being a newbie, it's easier for her to slip up and expose them all." Elizandra concluded, and therefore being okay with staying all together.

"Come on." He nods at the entrance of the church and the two walk up the steps. A soft melody is being played as they enter. Elizandra sees Elena take her seat with Matt and Jeremy.

"There she is." Elizandra tells Brady. She then grimaces, "And looking like hell. I don't think she's taking this transition well."

"She's not," Stefan sighs, appearing beside her. The two look over at a concerned Stefan. He explains, "Her body is rejecting blood."

"That's possible?" Elizandra asks.

Brady lightly sighs, "She needs to drink from the vein, Stefan. Fresh."  

Stefan averts his eyes, "So I keep hearing." He gives them a fleeting nod and approaches Caroline and Tyler. Then, Brady and Elizandra take their seat behind them.

"Oh! I've missed you!" Caroline rotates her entire body around and grins widely at Elizandra. Then, the blonde frowns, "There's something you should know — "

"Care," Tyer nudges her as Mayor Lockwood approaches the podium.

"I'll tell you after." Caroline pays her attention back forward. Elizandra huffs; she hated when people left her on edge like that. Now, she wasn't going to be able to concentrate, and wonder instead what it is Caroline needed to desperately tell her.

Mayor Lockwood begins her speech, "Before we begin the Mass, we'd like to open the floor to anyone who would like to share a memory about our late friends on the Town Council."

Elizandra crossed her arms and mumbled, "I have one in mind." Caroline suppressed a snort with a hand flying over her mouth.

"I know that April Young wanted to say a few words about her dad. April? April, are you still here, honey?" Everyone began to look around. No April in sight. Elizandra furrows her brows at Brady. His own eyes are scanning the room. "Is there anyone else who would like to share a recollection or a memory about Pastor Young?"

"Where's April?" Elizandra whispers to Brady.

"I don't know," Brady nods ahead, "But something tells me we should focus on someone else." Everyone's head turns forward at a rising Elena.

Elizandra lightly spat, "What is she doing? She's not stable."

"Elena will be Elena." Brady replies.

"Come on up, Elena." Carol tells Elena.

Elizandra's focus is turned behind her when the church door opens and in walks Damon. He smirked at her as he dipped his fingers in the bowl of holy water. Elizandra rolls her eyes and faces forward.

Suddenly, Elizandra's nerves elevate and she tunes out everyone else, "Brady." Brady straightens his posture. It was blood. Lots of it, and they were the first to smell it.

"Yeah ... I smell it too." Brady responds. Elizandra looks forward and sees Elena. She looked very uneasy and sickly. But, she continues with all her strength. That was one thing Elizandra most respected her for.