16.

☾ ✶ ☽

☾ ✶ ☽

    Matt roughly packed up his belongings, wanting to get the hell out of the hospital. His life was saved at the cost of Elena's and he was feeling extremely guilty. Caroline had asked Elizandra for help, so here she was in the hospital room standing beside Caroline.

"Elena doesn't want to be a vampire." Matt argued.

"She doesn't want to be dead and now she's not. This isn't your fault, Matt." Caroline countered.

Elizandra added, "Matt, Bonnie's working on reversing it, okay? Don't beat yourself up over this. Could have easily been anybody else driving and the same thing would have happened, alright? Did you do this on purpose?"

"No." Matt lowly replies like a child in trouble.

"Then, stop beating yourself up!"

Caroline pulled Elizandra back and pats her shoulder, "O-kay, easy there, wolfy." Elizandra shot her a look, clearly disliking the nickname.

"It still feels like my fault." Matt stops packing his things and gives Elizandra a guilt-ridden look. One Elizandra knew all too well of.

"I know." Elizandra's shoulders slump and she takes a step back defeatedly.

Matt shakes his head, "Just can't believe she's a vampire now!"

Caroline shushes him, "Shh! Cool it on the V-word. I'm a fugitive, remember? I'm supposed to be halfway to Florida by now."

Elizandra slightly pouts, "Please, don't leave me, Care."

Caroline pouts as well, "You know I'd rather stay, but it's not safe."

"It's never going to be safe. Anywhere. At least not for people like us." Elizandra drags her feet over to the window and peeks outside.

Matt frowns, then looks to Caroline. "If the Council is after you, then why are you here?"

"Because I don't know where to go," Her voice begins to break and Elizandra whips around. "Tyler's dead and everything's different now and I ... " Matt embraces her in a hug and Elizandra frowns. Caroline had lost the man she loved.

Elizandra suddenly hears footsteps approaching. She immediately grabs Caroline and speeds out of sight.

☾ ✶ ☽

"We have to get you out of here, Care." Elizandra shuts the front door behind them. They had made it back to Caroline's house.

"I know — just — ugh, just help grab my stuff." Caroline stresses as she runs upstairs to her bedroom to grab some belongings. She's back downstairs after only a few seconds.

"You're only taking this?" Elizandra nods to the small bags on her shoulders.

"Already had some stuff packed with Tyler." Caroline replies sadly. "Ride with me to the border?" A smile crept on her face.