15.

☾ ✶ ☽

☾ ✶ ☽

    Damon paces back and forth on the Gilberts' porch. It was early in the morning, and the sun hadn't risen yet. He had his phone in one hand while tapping it against the other. Stefan was upstairs waiting for Elena to wake. He battled with himself. Did he do the right thing? Of course. He saved Matt's life. But at what cost? Elena's life. Damon halts on the porch, looks down at his phone and finally dials a number.

"Here we go," Damon mutters to himself as the phone rings. It rang twice before the other end picked up.

"Damon," Brady's rough voice shot through the phone, "Tell me my niece decided to spend the night at a friend's."

"You see ... I can't necessarily say that." He squinted one eye as he braces himself.

"Damon," Brady's voice was laced with worry.

Damon heaved a sigh, "Look, our plan failed, Alaric got to Klaus before we could get him out. Elizandra tried fighting him off but ... she tried her best. She ran off and I haven't seen her since, Brady."

"Okay ... thank you for letting me know."

Damon raises his brows; surprised. He expected some Direwolf threat. "Okay! Look, I'd help you find her, but we got our hands tied over here; Elena's going to be going through transition the second she wakes up."

"Transit — what the hell did you do?"

"Okay, wait hold up! For once, this was not my doing, but courtesy of my dear brother."

"I'll find Elizandra, you take care of Elena."

"Yeah, alright. Let me know when you find her." He hangs up and sighs; looking at the rising sun in the distance, taking advantage of the calm right now before the storm.

☾ ✶ ☽

    Brady spent hours in the woods searching for Elizandra. Her scent was faint but she was his family and family had a distinct smell compared to other Direwolves and Werewolves. He had been running all morning, but finally caught up with her: high in the mountains way south of Virginia, in Georgia. She was currently getting a kick out of frightening the coyotes who were all much smaller. All five coyotes ran away as Brady approached. His wolf was larger than Elizandra's.

Elizandra sensed his presence, but continued walking away. He emitted a warning snarl to which she stopped walking and turned halfway around. When she continued to walk away, Brady snarled again and Elizandra snapped. She turned around and leapt at him as a warning to stay his distance. The fur raised on his back and his mouth opens, revealing his larger, sharper and stronger canines. She provoked him by reflecting his actions; almost in a challenging manner. In return, he erupted in a more savage snarl that shook Elizandra. She slowly retreated, still snarling, but conceding.

He was her Alpha in their pack of two.

☾ ✶ ☽

Brady and her returned home through the woods, running at an increased speed. Elizandra didn't even bother stopping for a break. She was going to hear it when they get home. But, she felt defeated on the inside. Klaus was dead, like dead dead. She thought she was going to have more time to figure her feelings out. But, now that he was dead, it was clear to her; she longed for him, actually missed him whenever he wasn't around, and missed the way she felt safe with him despite his past and current dilemmas. But, none of that mattered now because he was gone and there's nothing she could do.

Currently, she was sitting at the edge of her bed and patting down her damp hair with her towel; staring forward absentmindedly.

Brady knocked twice on her door. She sighs and tosses her towel aside.

"Come in." She mumbled barely over a whisper, but she knew he could hear either way. He entered and lingered in the doorway.

"Hey," He says monotonously. She didn't respond as she slipped on her Doc Martens. "You know, you used to talk to me abut everything. You'd text me from school telling me how you couldn't wait to come home and tell me all the gossip."

Elizandra couldn't help but emit the smallest chuckle at the memory. She tied the last shoe and sat up straight. Her eyes were glossed over as they landed on Brady's. "I need to tell you something. You can't be angry with me, because I need you." She softly says with her voice o the verge of breaking. Brady walked over to her bed and sat beside her.

"I can't ever stay angry with you. Tell me."

Elizandra stayed silent for a minute as she gathered her words, "Klaus died. Which I'm sure you knew ... but ... he's gone, and I'm left with — " She rolls her eyes. She couldn't believe she was actually going to divulge her feelings for Klaus to Brady — the man who nearly killed him the same night they met.

Brady understood what she was getting at and he averted eye contact, "I guess now would be a better time than ever."

Elizandra furrowed her brows and looked at him, "For what?"

A low chuckle rumbled in his chest, "To tell you about Athena."

"Who's Athena."

Brady paused for a moment; he was looking about, as if he were reminiscing. "Love of my life." Those words sounded so odd to Elizandra coming out of his mouth. She guessed she never thought that Brady had romantic relationships in the past too, before he took on being her legal guardian. "She was born in 1897."

Elizandra repositioned herself to turn her full body to face him. She was intrigued, "She was a vampire."

Brady turns his head to her, a shadow of a smile on his lips. He nods. "Met her when I was sixteen. The pack found out, and forbade it."

"My dad?"

"Knew about us. He'd help us sneak around, and cover for me ... She was the most beautiful woman I'd ever lay eyes on. And she was kind. Turned a vampire against her will, and hated everything about being one." He leans forward and rests his elbows on his knees.

"Was?" Elizandra was afraid to ask.

"Your grandfather murdered her when he found out we were still seeing each other even after the pack argued against it."

Elizandra's mouth was agape, but closed it immediately, "I'm sorry," She laid her head on his shoulder. She heaves as sigh, "I guess, Klaus was sort of my Athena. And I know it's wrong, because of who he is, and what he's done ... but I guess it doesn't matter now because he's not here anymore." Her voice falters at the end of her sentence. Brady straightened his posture and wrapped his arm around her; bringing her closer.

"But it still hurts." Brady reads her thoughts. She nods, and a few tears slip out.

"Yes."

☾ ✶ ☽

A.N: So this is a very short chapter but I Felt like this story was lacking a Brady X Elizandra moment. I love Brady and I'm going to try to include him more from now on! and MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!
-melancholyevermore