6

☆

"COME ON NOW," the beaver began as the five Pevensies followed him deeper into the woods, "Don't wanna be caught out here after nightfall." They walked for what felt like forever before the beaver spoke up once more, but this time in joy. "Ah blimey! Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on!" The beaver exclaimed, "Nice cup of Rosy lee."

"It's lovely." Lucy complimented the dam, which was situated in the middle of a frozen lake, surrounded by the white Cliffs and trees.

"It's merely a trifle. Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though." The beaver continued, all of a sudden another beaver appeared from inside the dam, in a state of obvious distress.

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again I... Oh! Well, those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day." Mrs Beaver rambled, "Look at my fur! You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?". Eliza chuckled as the two beavers chatted away as if this was a normal occurrence - which it most certainly wasn't.

"I'd have given a week if I thought it would've helped." Mr Beaver joked, earning a small glare from his wife, but giggles from the kids.

"Oh, come inside, and see if we can't get you some food, and some civilised company." Mrs. Beaver spoke up to the children, giving a rather pointed look to her husband.

Mrs. Beaver ushered the kids inside of the dam. As soon as Eliza stepped foot inside the house, a sense of warmth and comfort washed over her. The girl looked around at the small abode the beavers lived in, trying to comprehend this whole situation and after sitting the siblings down with a cup of piping tea, Mrs Beaver joined them at the table.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter questioned, making all Lucy look towards the Beavers in hope.

"They'll have taken him to the Witch's. You know what they say." Mr Beaver answered, his voice grave and steady, "There's few that go through them gates that come out again."

This statement alone made Eliza gulp in horror, they really should not be here. This wasn't their world. Mrs Beaver jumped up from her seat and rushed towards the kitchen and retrieved five plates of food for the kids.

"Fish 'n' chips!" Mrs Beaver grinned, trying to change the subject but upon noticing Lucy's solemn expression the beavers face softened, "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope."

"Oh, yeah, there's a right bit more than hope." Mr Beaver spat out his drink, "Aslan is on the move!"

Eliza scrunched her brows together in thought, "W-who's Aslan?" She asked hesitantly, making the beavers gape at her in shock.