7

ELIZA SQUINTED AS her eyes opened, exposing her to the blinding rays of sunshine, bouncing off the blue water ahead. Her head throbbed and her entire body felt groggy as her eyes drifted around her surroundings. She went to raise her hand before a loud crack indicated it was shackled to the wall behind her.

"You slept through the night." Lucy stated, causing Eliza to whip her head towards her younger sister, who was shackled up beside her.

"They plan on selling us today." Lucy spoke, her hollow voice echoing around the cell, "I overhead some men last night." Eliza went to reply but was cut off by a loud whine.

"Selling us?!" Eustace exclaimed, making the eldest girl roll her eyes at his dramatics. "This is all your fault! You took me out of England and now we're going to die!"

"Who said anything about dying, Eustace?" Eliza scoffed, shifting on the rocky floor, "-and we didn't want you here to begin with but tough luck, here you are. Now I suggest you grow up before I slap you all the way to America."

The boy immediately quietened down. Eliza knew she shouldn't have snapped but it had to be done, she couldn't think straight about anything when Eustace was constantly complaining. Eliza let her eyes drift down the line, noticing more creatures and citizens tied up.

A loud noise filled the air, sending Eliza into alert, her head snapping towards the iron gates situated to her far left. A horse pulled a large wooden cart, holding civilians in it, through the gates. A man could be seen chasing after the cart, his cries echoing off of the stone surroundings.

"NO, PLEASE! NO!" The man pleaded, latching onto a woman in the cart only to be met with a sharp hit from one of the slave traders.

"Mommy!" The little girl exclaimed, chasing after the cart before stopping at her fathers defeated body. From beside her, Eliza could feel Lucy tense causing the eldest girl's sisterly instincts kick in.

"Luce, it's okay." She whispered quietly as the youngest girl lay her head on Eliza's shoulder, "Remember what Caspian told Drinian? He told Drinian to send a party if we weren't back by sunrise. I swear to Aslan, that you will leave this island unharmed!"

Lucy nodded and buried her head into her sisters shoulder, while the older girl watched in horror. In front of them, the people from the cart had been ushered into a row boat that was now drifting out to sea. Eliza squinted as a green mist bounced on the horizon. Surely, her eyes were deceiving her but as the mist drew closer to the rowboat, surrounding it, the boat vanished, startling the older girl.