6

☆

DUSK HAD crept up on the Narnians, as the majority of them were gathered in the Stone Table room, where the Pevensies stood. Eliza had spent the past few hours talking among the troops and comrades while her brother tried to figure out some sort of tactic.

"It's only a matter of time. Miraz's men and war machines are on their way." Peter began, "That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

Reepicheep, the mouse, who Eliza talked to for roughly an hour earlier that day, "What do you propose we do, Sire?" He asked, causing Caspian and Peter to both open their mouths to  reply.

"We—"

"Our—"

Peter looked at Caspian almost as if warning him to stop. Caspian conceded and closed his mouth, stepping back to let the other boy talk.

Peter cleared his throat, "Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us." He stated, awaiting the Narnians reactions. Eliza was silent, a twisting feeling was churning her stomach as the boy continued to talk.

Caspian stepped forward once more, "But that's crazy, no one has ever taken that castle." He exclaimed.

Peter shrugged slightly, "There's always a first time." He reasoned, causing soft murmurs of agreement to echo around the room.

"We'll have the element of surprise." Trumpkin added from the corner of the room.

"But we have the advantage here." Caspian argued, his voice strained as he tried to be heard over the multiple noises.

Susan stepped towards her brother, "If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely." She added, glancing at Caspian.

"I, for one, feel safer underground."
Trufflehunter, the badger stated, making a few Narnians roll their eyes.

Peter turned to Caspian, "Look, I appreciate what you've done, but this isn't a fortress, it's a tomb." The boy remarked.

"Yes," Edmund spoke up, "-and if the Telmarines are smart, they'll just starve us out." Eliza's head dropped slightly as she fiddled with her thumb ring.

"We could collect nuts!" A squirrel piped up in excitement, Eliza looked down and chuckled in response.

Reepicheep rolled his eyes, "Oh yes, and throw them at the Telmarines!" The mouse mocked, "... SHUT UP! I think you know where I stand on this, Sire."