FLAME X SQUID

Sorry guys, I know some of you requested another ship before that one but I was so inspired! So, here's @lukey-macaroni119's request. I had so much fun writing this, and I hope you'll like it :D

"Copper. Crinkle." Squid nodded as he walked in front of the two prison guards. "You're here for Flame's case, I suppose?" the SandWing asked.

"Flame?!" Squid couldn't repress a gasp of surprise. That's not why I'm here! Oh, Flame, what have you gotten yourself into again?

"Are you okay sir?"

"Yes, pardon me. I'm here for Dogfish."

The guard's eyebrows arched. "The one that proclaims he's innocent although we all know he killed someone? That's quite a big case for you."

"Excuse me?! I am the Talons of Peace's best lawyer!"

"Okay okay. You know the way." Crinkle stepped aside and Squid walked in. He walked past several cells, his client's one located at the other end of the prison. He turned left but suddenly stopped.

In one of the cells was a dragon, a SkyWing. Squid would've recognized those red scales anywhere.

"Flame?!" he choked on the name, and the other dragon spun around. Oh my moons.

Squid squealed. An enormous, hideous scar ran across his face, crossing Flame's ruby-red scales that were now almost brown with dirt. Although his amber eyes were still shining with barely contained fury, Squid thought he could see a glimmer of surprise and sadness in them. He noticed several scratches and wounds scattered across Flame's scales. What happened? The SkyWing growled, and Squid realized he'd been staring. The Seawing rubbed the back of his neck with his talon.

"What do you want," Flame snapped.

"N-nothing! Just saying hello!"

"Then go away and leave me to rot in this cell."

Squid opened his mouth to answer, but a light touch on his shoulder and a flicker of something he'd never seen before in Flame's eyes - was it fear?!- stopped him. Slowly, he turned around, only to find five guards standing right behind him.

"You know him," the first guard, a SkyWing, growled. "You're coming with us." He flicked his tail and two of the guards grabbed Squid. "We have tried to interrogate this one for days. You'll be usefull." The remaining guards opened the cell and dragged Flame out. The red SkyWing didn't resist, a worn out expression on his face and a glint of exhaustion in his eyes.

After a while, they entered a small room with a metal ring screwed to the ground and an unsettelling amount of various torture instruments on a table in the corner. Squid shivered. The guards carrying him threw him on the stone ground.

"Ow! I work with the Talons of Peace! My father will hear about this!" he spat, bristling. To Squid's dismay, the guards looked more amused than worried.

"Squid." Flame reached out with his tail and tapped his shoulder. "That's not gonna work here."

"No talking!" the biggest guard shoved Flame's head on the ground. The SkyWing groaned and Squid winced. Next, they proceeded to tie Squid's wrists to the ring with chains.

"Hey! Let him go!" Flame pulled against the similar chains binding his wings, his ankles and his wrists.

"Oh, so you care about him? That's good to know."

"Now," the guard slowly walked towards Flame and bent down until he was snout to snout with him, "tell us what you know."

"Or what?" Flame snorted.

"Same thing I did yesterday, but I'll do it to your friend."

"Take me instead," Flame mumbled, scowling and avoiding Squid's surprised gaze.

The guard smirked, and Squid wished he could claw that smug grin off his snout. "Sorry, my hearing is pretty bad, could you repeat?" Clearly he was enjoying this.

"Take me instead!"

"If you insist. Maybe your 'friend' will have some information for us."

The guards tied Flame beside Squid.

"What are you doing," Squid whispered in Flame's ear so that the guards couldn't hear.

"Saving your dumb life," Flame hissed.

The guards then brought Squid to the corner of the room, beside the huge SkyWing.

"Should we try the claws stuff this time Chukar?" One of the guards suggested.

"Hmmmmm, good idea, Blood. We'll do that," Chukar chuckled. He grabbed a pair of huge pliers and blew a small flame on them. The metal turned red.

He padded towards Flame and grabbed one of his front claws with the pliers, bending it the wrong way. The horrible stench of burning flesh filled the air and Flame let out a heart-wrenching scream, nothing like Squid had ever heard, muffled by the piece of cloth that held his jaws shut. He heard a crack, like bone breaking. Squid felt like someone had grabbed his heart with the same pliers. He closed his eyes, a single tear running down his cheek, and clenched his teeth.

Another crack. Another scream. No. I can't let them do that to Flame!

Squid whacked his tail at the nearest guard's head, knocking him unconcious. He slithered out of the other's grasp, grabbed a knife from the table and pressed it at Chukar's throat.

"Who has the keys? Free Flame or I'll kill him!" He pressed the knife closer, a drop of blood running down Chukar's neck.

One of the guards grabbed a key and Flame's shackles fell to the ground.

"Now!" Chukar suddenly roared. He slammed his elbow in Squid's ribs, causing the SeaWing to drop the knife. Flame roared, setting the nearest guard's tail on fire. Chukar jumped on Squid, clawing at his underbelly and slamming his head on the floor, and everything went dark.

---

Flame dug his claws in a guard's throat, letting go as he went limp. He glanced at Squid to see how he was coping but saw him on the ground not moving, Chukar close by.

Nobody touches him!

He leaped on Chukar and shoved him against the stone wall before grabbing the knife Squid had dropped.

"You hurted him, you die!" he snarled, lifting the knife, but someone grabbed his talon, yanking him off Chukar. Flame punched them in the stomach, lifted Squid on his shoulder and ran.

---

"Where- where am I?" Squid blinked. "My head hurts."

"Of course it hurts, shrimp-brain! Someone slammed it on the floor," Flame said, rolling his eyes. Squid took a better look around.

He was in a small cave with a high roof, laying on a word out matress made of animal furs. There was a small bookshelf and a desk, but that was it. Flame sat right besides Squid.

"You saved me," Squid said. "Why?"

Flame leaned closer until Squid could feel his warm breath on his scales. "Because I care," Flame whispered softly, and for once anger had left his gaze, replaced by a soft, loving, at peace look. Before Squid could say anything, Flame kissed him.

Squid tensed, straightening, but soon relaxed and melted into the kiss. They broke apart, and Flame wrapped a wing around Squid. The small SeaWing rested his head on the crook of Flame's shoulder, the only place where he felt safe. With his boyfriend.