Part 15

The first thing my mind began to register was how warm and comfortable I was. Next came the fresh forest scent that reminded me where I was. Silas's bed. I couldn't remember falling asleep or even laying down but I did remember everything else that had happened. The more awake I became the more my body ached with reminders of everything that had happened. 

I was in Silas room because I was on lock down. I was on lock down because of Drake, the bruises, and the pills. I was beginning to wish that I hadn't woken up already. When I was asleep I didn't have to think about any of this. I didn't have to worry about keeping things from Silas or protecting him and Amelia from Drake. I didn't have to wonder when or how Drake would try to kill me next.

I sighed and forced my eyes open. There was no point in prolonging this. I wouldn't be going back to sleep any time soon. It was time to face the music... or rather the brooding Alpha next to me. 

Silas was already looking at me when I opened my eyes. He shifted, rolling over, and releasing me. My mouth popped open in surprise. He had been holding me.

"You're having nightmares again..." He said quietly. "You were tossing around and crying in your sleep."

I gulped. I couldn't remember what I had dreamed about but I had a pretty good idea what it might could have been. Matthew  warned me that because of the way he flushed my system the medications would be out faster than usual. That meant my ability to use magic would return faster than expected, including my ability to mind link and project memories.

'Did I say anything?' I asked. I tried to keep my face blank but Silas eyes hardened as he shook his head. He knew that I was keeping things from him and he hated it as much as I did.

"Like what leannan?" He asked.

His return question was my answer. I hadn't said anything in my sleep. My abilities hadn't returned yet.

'What time is it?' I asked changing the subject.

"11." I was so surprised that Silas accepted my change in subjects that it took a second for me to realize what he had just said. I sat up quickly once I did. The sudden movement made my entire body protest in pain and I cringed.

"Easy Ry!" Silas said. He had shot up with me only now he had his hands hovering near my shoulders. Not touching but ready in case I needed help.

'Why are we still in bed?' I signed. 'You have so much you have to do!'

"Because you needed the extra sleep. Aaron is perfectly capable of running this pack without me and I already told you, I'm not leaving you alone again."

'So we sleep all day instead?' I signed. I couldn't believe he had been serious about staying by my side when he was in the middle of being assessed by the council.

"I wouldn't have let you sleep all day. You have an appointment with Matthew." Silas said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're late." Drake said from his seat on the couch as Silas reached the last step of the stairs. Silas paused just in side the living room and waited for me to catch up before continuing toward Matthew's office.

"Brogan!" Drake growled when Silas made no attempt to answer him.

"You are here to observe my ability to be an Alpha, not to observe my social life. As you were told yesterday, Aaron is the acting Alpha until further notice." Silas said. He held the door to the medical room open for me.