Part 35.

I still felt nauseous as I headed out of the bathroom. 

I'd underestimated the stress level of being an Alpha which was surprising considering I'd already assumed it would be intense. 

There were just so many people, so many lives, effected by every little decision I had to make. It was overwhelming and my body was throwing a constant tantrum about being away from our mate. The combination of stress, absence, and hormones leaving my system gave me what Matthew could only describe as a variation of the human flu. Pukey, sweaty, achy, and exhausted.

All of that went away with the rush of adrenaline I received at hearing Emily's scream from the living room. I didn't even bothering picking up the book that'd flown out of my hands before rushing in to see what was wrong.

Matthew, Adam, and several other fighters had entered the room as well. There was an unknown wolf inside the pack house. They moved to surround the rogue and contain him. 

The wolf growled but in a strange almost taunting way. His familiar hazel eyes shifted to me, completely ignoring the fighters that surrounded him.

I raised an eye brow at the wolfs subtle smirk. 

In a flash he evaded the fighters and closed in behind me. My eyes snapped shut and I grabbed ahold of the link that radiated off of him. Fortunately for him I recognized the connection and held my hand up to halt the fighters that thought to rush to my aid.

~ You do know it's customary to call before a visit, right?~ I asked throwing Alexanders previous greeting back at him.

The wolf behind me snorted. 

A harsh snapping and cracking alerted me that he was shifting back into a human and I kept my eyes forward having no desire to see Alexander naked.

~Jace, please grab Alpha Thane a pair of shorts or something.~ I sighed to one of the other fighters in the room.

"Holy fuck Xane. You damn near gave Adam a heart attack popping in here like that. We've never seen your wolf before." Emily breathed out. Adam did have a hand clutched over his chest but I was pretty sure Emily had been equally terrified a moment ago. We all had. 

"Good. Maybe next time he'll be prepared to actually protect you when there is a threat." Xane said.

The fighter reappeared and tossed Alexander a pair of shorts. I gave him a moment to pull them on before finally turning to face him.

~What are you doing here?~ I asked.

"Perhaps I was testing you on Silas's behalf. Based on how easily I could have killed you I'd say it's a fail." Xane said folding his arms in front of him and leaning against the wall.

~Perhaps you are underestimating how quickly I could have killed you.~ I said back with my own solid glare.

The edge of Xane's mouth quirked up and he tilted his head.

"Oh really?" He asked still amused.

~Yes. Really. I'm already inside your head. How much damage do you think I could do before you'd get the chance to sink your teeth into anyone here?~ I asked.

"Is that your plan for the council then? They've arrived with a small army which is what I've come to warn you about." He said. "They do not intend to pretend this will be a fair or reasonable trial. They're here for blood and they're here for you."

~I'm ready for them.~ I said and I was. I'd made all the preparations for the spell. All I needed now was the room cleared, the council here, and a few minutes to cast.