Chapter 10

He couldn't get into Qing Qiu, so he planted peach trees for two whole days. He was aware of the whispering and the random stopbys. He asked Tian Shu to stop everyone from coming to the hall of beautiful youth after the first hour. His mother had sent a slew of immortals to "plant a garden", he didn't even let them past the gate. If Qian Qian ever moved back into heaven he wanted it to be similar to her home and he wanted to be the one to make it happen. He was physically exhausted when he finally crawled into bed, too exhausted to think.

He missed his wife and child. The third day away from them was worse, he hadn't realized how much he'd gotten used to having them around, he longed for the faint scents and sounds that told him they were close even when he couldn't see them. He'd heard from his mother that the fox king had asked the family to come visit if they wanted to talk but that he couldn't come to heaven for the next 3 months. She'd said it as a complain. Ye Hua was not interested, he knew the fox king was giving his daughter time to change her mind about marrying him but he could not blame him for that.

He looked up to see that his mother was still there. He hadn't heard a word she said for a while. He shook his head

"Ye Hua, I heard A-Li is in Qing Qi"

"He's bonding with his mother"

"The fox clan has not responded to our attempts to advance your marriage to Qing Qiu, is it a good idea to leave A-Li there when things are still so uncertain"

"Mother is overthinking it. A-Li is where I want him to be"

"I'm just happy you have forgotten that mortal, I want you to be happy again"

He sighed, it was not her fault that they were not close enough for her to know that the only time he'd ever been happy in his life had been when he was with Qian Qian - in whatever incarnation she was in

"I'm happy, mother. But there are things I cannot change and things I need to work on"

He knew she'd interpret that as a sign to let him get back to work and he felt a tiny twinge of guilt but he really wanted time to come up with a plan to handle the current spin that life had thrown at him. He told the immortals at the door not to let in anyone then closed the doors to think.

The more he thought about it the more he realized that the major cause of the problem they had in the past was his inability to communicate. He loved her, he trusted her but he rarely told her more than the bare minimum. If he got another chance, he planned to bare his heart. He also knew there we debts that needed to be paid, debts owed by his family, by Su Jin, by him. The past few months had taught him that Qian Qian was one who always paid her debts in full and always collected debts owed in full. He had no idea how he'd get her eyes back but he planned to.

He went to Qing Qiu on the fourth day. He made himself invisible and sat at the mouth of the cave with his scrolls. He had no intention of disturbing just wanted to smell and hear them. If he was lucky they would walk past him and he could see them.

"That didn't take as long as I thought". Bai Zhen said

"Even shorter than your father did" Zhe Yan laughed

"Old phoenix, stop saying things like that. Anyway, I win the bet, I said he'd last less than 5 days"

"Actually, I win. I said he'd last at most 3 days. It's been 3 days" Zhe Yan replied

Bai Zhen frowned looking like a petulant child

"Ok, we'll say you win before you get angry and run away for three weeks Zhe Yan said as they came to a stop in front of him "Ye Hua, you passed the test"

Ye Hua sat silently for a few minutes trying to figure out if what the test was

"Crown prince. We can see you but if you want to go in, you'd have to show yourself or the mother's barrier would not let you in" Bai Zhen added.

Ye Hua took off the invisibility spell he'd cast on himself, exchanged a few words with both men and went into the cave.

He smiled when he saw them. A-Li was not a fussy baby but he could tell from the scene in front of him that Qian Qian had been trying to get the baby to sleep. Somehow she'd ended up asleep while the baby sat playing with the toys scattered around him. Ye Hua covered her with his cloak and put the baby back in his crib.

She woke up with a start when she noticed someone was in bed with her and it wasn't the baby. Ye Hua.

His arms tightened around her and a smile crept up his face as she tried to pull away.

"I should get out of bed"

"There's no need to. I'm comfortable"

"Ye Hua ..." She tried to twist out of his hold but somehow ended up with her face touching his "I need to eat" she whispered expecting him to jump at the opportunity to feed her.

"Me too" He replied as his mouth descended on hers

She froze for a moment then parted her lips with a sigh as his tongue found hers. Her hands which had been closed in fists opened and caressed his chest instead of pushing him off as she'd initially planned. She leaned into the kiss dueling with his tongue, she wrapped one arm around his neck and stroked his face with the other.

He broke away from her mouth and began a trail of soft kisses from her lips till he found the sensitive spot he knew was on her neck. He felt her gasp and grab a fistful of his hair as she threw her head back. She moaned softly. He moved so that she was on her back on the bed, leaning on one arm, he trailed the other down her side then started to nudge her robe off her shoulder when he saw a scar that hadn't been there before and stopped dead.

She pushed at the back of his head, trying to bring his mouth back to hers when he traced the scar with his thumb. She shuddered and released her hold on his hair, realizing the scar hadn't been there when she was mortal. The moment was gone.

"I'm sorry" he said as he kissed the scar

She realized he thought she got it from her jump down Zhuxian terrace. She was torn about how much to tell him, he was the Celestial crown prince and the scar was proof that she was the immortal wanted by his tribe for theft of a high god

"It's an old scar, it just didn't come with my mortal transformation"

He laid his head on her chest, rubbing her arms as their breaths slowed. "What caused it?"

She ran her fingers through his hair as she ignored the question. She tensed suddenly realizing her immortal body was different and he hadn't seen that.

"If it causing you that much tension, you don't have to tell me"

"Ye Hua, I have to get out of bed", she said trying to push him away. She suddenly felt shy and ashamed

The anxiety in her voice made him move without thinking, she ran out of the room as soon as he lifted himself off her. He wondered how traumatizing the scar was for her to cause this reaction.