Chapter 22

Bai Qian looked up as Xin Nu helped Su Jin into her Peach Palace, she had wanted to refuse the other woman an audience since she suspected she knew what Su Jin would ask for but she'd reminded herself she needed to be compassionate even when the subject did not deserve it, if only to set a good example for A Li. She watched Su Jin gingerly take her seat looking very frail.

"Su Jin greets high goddess Bai Qian" Su Jin said, bowing elaborately.

"Su Jin, how are you? Nai Nai, pour some tea for Su Jin" Bai Qian replied.

"Goddess, I am not doing well" Su Jin replied.

"I'm guessing Ye Hua's punishment is the cause of your pain"

"Goddess is right."

Bai Qian looked at the pitiful form of the other woman and sighed. She wasn't sure why Ye Hua had been so harsh with his punishment especially since the lamp wasn't really doing anything in the first place but she was sure there was a reason even though she'd told him she didn't want to know. Not knowing meant she could honestly tell everyone who asked her to step in that the issue was between both parties only. She was honest enough with herself to acknowledge she was happy the other woman was getting punished. She moved her eyes from the other woman, knowing how Su Jin's mind worked, she expected the woman was here to tell her something she thought would make her mad enough to confront Ye Hua and get the punishment reduced. She sighed to herself better get on with it, she thought.

"Su Jin only took the lamp because the crown prince was married to you and still trying to bring back the mortal"

"Su Jin, don't make this about me. We both know you do nothing with my interests at heart besides Ye Hua told me what he was doing" 

"Goddess, you wound me. Su Jin thinks highly of goddess"

"Also, you told me mortals do not come back regardless of the strength of sacred artifact used"

"Well..." Su Jin looked around, she looked like she had something to say but wasn't sure how to say it. Bai Qian smiled, she knew the other woman was thinking of the 'nightmares' when Su Su had visited her.

"Never mind that" Bai Qian replied. "I'm sure you're sorry you took the lamp regardless of your reason but this matter is between you and Ye Hua."

"Goddess, don't you think three years of thunderbolts is too much for taking the lamp"

"What I think doesn't matter, what matters is what Ye Hua thinks"

"He's punishing me for something else"

"What else could you possibly have done?"

Su Jin looked uncomfortable, she kept glancing at Nai Nai as if she wanted more privacy to share her thoughts. Bai Qian would have refused but she was intrigued and wanted to hear what the woman had to say. However, she was not foolish enough to have both mistress and servant in the room with just her even if she was powerful enough to deal with both if there was a need.

"Xin Nu, Nai Nai, give us some privacy"

Xin Nu looked at her mistress who looked a little surprised before nodding and leaving the room with Nai Nai.

"What was it you didn't want to say in front of them?" Bai Qian asked

"Goddess, when the mortal was alive, she pushed me into Zhuxian terrace ..."

"I did no such thing" she interrupted in an angry mutter and felt the painful memories begin to rise to the surface

"I did not hear what you said" Su Jin said