Chapter 23

They arrived in Qing Qiu hand in hand. The den was quiet, quieter than she remembered it ever being.

"I wonder where Mi Gu is" Bai Qian said as they walked towards the fox den

"Inside the den? He probably wasn't expecting visitors" Ye Hua replied

"That's true but he has a perimeter barrier that we triggered the moment we stepped foot on the ground yet he hasn't come to check it."

"I'm sure he has a reasonable explanation for this, maybe he's running an errand"

They found Mi Gu sitting at the mouth of the fox den with a goofy smile on his face. He looked like he was suffering the ill effects of too much alcohol.

"Mi Gu, I haven't seen you in a couple of months and you've taken to drinking yourself to stupor" Bai Qian said with a smile

"Gu Gu, you're back again." Mi Gu replied, getting up but not moving from the spot

"What do you mean 'again'?" she asked

"Gu Gu was here yesterday. You ..." He started

"I was mmm mmm" Bai Qian started to interrupt before Ye Hua's hands covered her mouth

"What did she do when she visited yesterday?" Ye Hua asked

"Gu Gu told me to sit here and tell nobody especially not the crown prince"

"He's under an enchantment" Bai Qian said

"Can you break it?" Ye Hua asked

Bai Qian arched her brows at him "I'll modify it so he can tell me what happened first. He might forget some details if I break it before he tells us what happened"

She traced a pattern in the air next to Mi Gu's face "Remind me what I did last time I came here"

"Gu Gu took high god Mo Yuan's body then ordered me to sit at the mouth of the fox den for 3 days. I have 2 days left" He offered enthusiatically

She traced another pattern and Mi Gu shook his head and lost the goofy look

"Xuan Nu, the girl with my face" Bai Qian said as she stretched an arm out towards the river.

Ye Hua did not ask how she knew. He was about to ask what she wanted to do when the Yuqing Kulun fan landed in her outstretched arms with a soft swoosh. Before he could say anything, she was off. He took off after her.

He got to the ghost palace by following her trail and just in time to see her mow down about 50 soldiers and puppets with one swing of the fan. He'd often thought the history books exaggerated when they said Si Yin killed 18 ghost soldiers with one sweep, looking at his wife now, he could see the number was probably tampered down for the egos of the rest of the fighters. He watched her clear another batch and thought to himself that she could get through this battle single handedly. When a blade slashed through her sleeve, he snapped out of his daze and rushed at the swarm of soldiers.

They fought for what seemed like hours but they finally got to the main hall of the palace where Xuan Nu stood as though she'd been waiting for them. With a laugh, she waved her hand and bright light filled the room. Bai Qian's magical eye mask came out immediately but Ye Hua saw red; no one was allowed to use his mistake as a means to hurt his wife, no one. He struck out at Xuan Nu with his magic and threw his sword at her, arching it over the group of soldiers standing between them. She was clearly not expecting that reaction as both attacks hit her dead center, the sword entered her chest diagonally. She fell into the wall behind her. Her soldiers looked confused, she'd not had the time to give them any orders. Li Jing rushed into the hall escorted by another group of soldiers while Ye Hua moved closer to Bai Qian.

Li Jing held his wife, seemingly unaware of everyone else in the room "What have you done?"

"Highness, we can save our son. Look, I have high god Mo Yuan's body, we can put him in it" She replied weakly and began to bleed from her mouth.

Li Jing looked around him and took in the carnage, he dropped his wife and rushed forward as soon as he saw Bai Qian. Ye Hua stepped in front of his wife, arm extended. The room once again filled with tension as he magically grew another sword in his extended hand.

"Step back from my wife" He ordered

"A Yin?" Li Jing said tentatively. He'd stopped in his tracks but had made no move to step back

"Li Jing, do you care to explain why your soldiers stole the body of high god Mo Yuan and attacked the Crown Princess?" Ye Hua asked

"I ... Crown Princess?" Li Jing stuttered

"Yes, my wife, Bai Qian of Qing Qiu, Crown Princess of the nine heavens"

The color visibly drained from Li Jing's face and Ye Hua knew in that instant that the Ghost Lord was in love with Bai Qian. Still holding the sword and ready to attack, Ye Hua put his other arm possessively around his wife.

Xuan Nu stumbled forward to her husband "if we kill them now, we can save our son"

"You must be out of your mind! You want to kill the crown prince of heaven to save a child that was born dead nearly 100 years ago? Xuan Nu, why are you trying to ruin me? Why are you trying to ruin the Ghost realm?" Li Jing replied

Xuan Nu shook her head "I'm loyal to you. Remember, I helped win the last way with Mo Yuan and I helped you become the Ghost Lord." She barely got the words out before she fell to the ground, "I did it all for you" she said before her eyes closed. She was dead.

"Ye Hua, let's get Mo Yuan and leave this place." Bai Qian said calmly. Ye Hua nodded, wrapped Mo Yuan's body in immortal energy and turned towards the door with his wife.

"A Yin!" Li Jing called out

Bai Qian looked at Ye Hua then turned to Li Jing "Ghost lord, you lost the right to call that name a long time ago"

"I looked for you for the past 70,000 years. I searched everywhere in the nine heavens, Kulun even the mortal realm. I never gave up, I've been trying to find you. I wanted to go back to the way things were" Li Jing replied

"You always want what you can't have or what you've lost. You don't value things once you get them. You've been looking for me because I was the one that got away, the one you couldn't have"

"Don't say that, A Yin. You love me"

Bai Qian smiled "That was 70,000 years ago. I was a sheltered little cub with a head for getting into trouble. What did I know about love?"

"You are the love of my life"

"I am not the Si Yin you knew and loved. I am Bai Qian."

"A Yin ..."

"Li Jing, 70,000 years ago, you chose your path and your life. Today, I choose mine. Ye Hua"

She turned and walked out leaving Ye Hua to follow her.

"Are you hurt?" Bai Qian asked Ye Hua when they got to the entrance to the Ghost palace.

"Surface wounds only. You?"

"Same. We should get Mo Yuan back to the cave and get back to nine heavens"

"Let get to Qing Qiu first. I don't think we should get back to nine heavens like this, we're bound to incite a war"

She nodded and they cloud jumped to the front of Yanhua cave. Walking behind his wife into the cave, Ye Hua could see she was exhausted but trying to hide it, she'd borne the brunt of the fight, it had been obvious that Xuan Nu's instructions were targeted at her as most of the soldiers they fought focused on her. Of course, if she wasn't his wife, he'd want her in every war he fought, she single handedly cleared at least seventy five percent of the Ghost army but she was his wife and he wanted to wrap her in his arms and keep her out of all harm.

He unwrapped Mo Yuan's body from the immortal wrap he'd put him in and placed him on the bed then felt the blood drain from his body as he saw the high god's face clearly.

"He looks just like me" He said to Bai Qian