Chapter 17

[A/N: this chapter is long, it got away from me and I couldn't find a good spot to break it into two. It was also more difficult to write than other chapters so please leave comments on anything especially any glitches in the story that I need to fix. Thanks for reading]

Bai Qian cursed her sense of direction as cloud jumped out of the third wrong hall she'd gone into that night, thankfully most halls in Xiwu palace were empty. You'd think she hadn't gone on this same trip every night for the last two weeks; the least she'd managed was one wrong hall but she was determined to get to her destination and back before Ye Hua woke up or noticed she was gone. She jumped into another hall and let out a sigh of relief as she found Su Jin asleep in her bed. She stood beside the door then used her magic to seal her immortality. It was a complex spell, one she'd spent years learning after her trial. She'd wanted to master the spell that Qing Cang had used to cause her so much suffering now it came in handy. As long as she set the right limits and conditions, she could use it on herself without needing another person to break the seal. She was Su Su until the spell elapsed, she'd made certain to change her clothes to those Su Su wore and to tear & bloody it. She put the veil over her eyes for the final touch them walked to the sleeping form on the bed.

"Su Jin" Bai Qian said as she made her way towards the bed, arms stretched out to guide her way. "Su Jin, I've come for my eyes"

"Go away from me, you're dead!" Su Jin replied sitting up and crawling backwards on the bed till she hit the corner

"How can I be dead when my eyes are alive in your sockets?" Bai Qian replied with a smile

"You're just a filthy mortal! You're dead" Su Jin cried, pulling the quilt around herself protectively like it was a shield against the other woman.

"You're the reason I'm alive. My eyes in your socket and your soul gathering lamp are bringing me back. In a few months I'll have a physical body and I can tell everyone what you did" Bai Qian said.

Su Jin responded by letting out a small sound that sounded like the beginning of a scream.

Bai Qian continued, "It's ok, you can scream but unless they have my eyes in their sockets, none of them can see me. You stole my husband and my life, Su Jin. I will torment you until the end of time"

"Help!, there is someone in my room, Help!" Su Jin screamed and rushed past her out of the room.

That was new and perfectly timed Bai Qian thought to herself as the spell wore off and she became a moth at the foot of the bed. She flew close to the ground as she left the hall and made her way back. It was easier to get back, all she had to do was lock on to her son's scent and fly towards it, then it was an easy path from Qingyun to Peach palace. She snuck into the corner of the bed and fell asleep immediately her head hit the pillow.

It felt like she'd been asleep a few minutes when the noise outside the hall woke her up. She reached out to wake Ye Hua up but noticed he wasn't there so she got up and pulled on a robe and walked out to see what was causing the commotion.

Ye Hua had been irritated that Su Jin's claims of an intruder had disrupted Xiwu palace but that had turned to anger when he saw Bai Qian walk out in his robe, yawning and blinking as her eyes adjusted to the sunlight. Bai Qian loved her sleep and Su Jin had disrupted it.

"What's going on? Bai Qian asked and all heads turned towards her.

Ye Hua let out a sound that was half growl, half hiss and everyone snapped their heads back and averted their gaze from his wife.

"Su Jin heard an intruder in her hall" Su Jin replied

"A-Li!"

"Goddess, we've already checked on little ..." Tian Shu cut his explanation short as he realized Bai Qian had already left.