Chapter 24

"He looks exactly like me" Ye Hua repeated as Bai Qian sat beside Mo Yuan smoothening out his hair as he lay on the bed.

"Yes, your eyes are different though" Bai Qian replied

"Eyes?"

"Shifu's eyes are not as dark or as peaceful as yours"

"You can tell how his eyes look?" Ye Hua asked incredulously.

"Yes" She replied oblivious to the tension that had creeped into Ye Hua's body. "I used to sit at the lotus pond and watch him play the zither"

"You love him!"

"Of course. Shifu was ..."

"You're Ok! Mi Gu just told us what happened" Zhe Yan interrupted as he and Bai Zhen rushed into the cave.

"It was child's play. I haven't had a chance to fight in a long time so it was good exercise" Bai Qian replied "And Ye Hua was there so there was no way I would not come out of it alive" she concluded, smiling at Ye Hua

"Oh dear, now the world is going to know you are Si Yin" Fourth brother said

"Ye Hua knew that a long time ago."

"He did?" Zhe Yan asked

"I have to go" Ye Hua

"Are you not going after him?

Bai Qian looked up in confusion. "What do you mean? I'll meet him at home"

"You are really dimwitted, a spectacular goddess but dimwitted woman especially regarding the affairs of life" Forth brother said

"Child, you just told your husband you love another man and you think life is going on as usual?" Zhe Yan said

"I ..."

"Didn't occur to you that you've just 'confirmed' the rumors of Si Yin and Mo Yuan being in love? Or that your husband just watched you ignore him to take care of a man you admit to loving?" He continued

"Those are both wrong. Ye Hua cannot possibly believe that" She said quietly

"why not?" fourth brother asked

"Because it's not true!"

"And he knows that?" Zhe Yan asked

"I have to find him" Bai Qian said running towards the mouth of the cave, Zhe Yan threw some magic at her to replace the bloody clothes she wore but she didn't stop or notice.

She looked for him in Xi Wu but he was nowhere to be found. Tian Shu assured her he was not in the main hall. She was about to give up when it occurred to her that he might have gone to the mortal realm. She went to the house they shared and although she found signs that he had been there very recently. She waved some magic over herself and transformed into her male form before rushing into the street, cursing the fact that she didn't have her copper mirror to search for him. Starting from the direction of their house, she walked towards the center of the town methodically, going into drinking houses and public places to search for him.

When she stepped out of the second drinking house, she felt a small tug. She looked down to see a mortal in tattered clothes and broken skin begging for alms. The mortal looked vaguely familiar and Bai Qian wondered if they'd met when she was Su Su but that was impossible given the time difference. She created a few coins for the woman who looked like she was suffering from a plethora of sicknesses, not the least of which was hunger. The woman smiled and bowed in thanks and Bai Qian was finally able to place the face, the pathetic mortal was once the immortal princess Miao Qing. Bai Qian shook her head in pity but refocused on finding her husband. She scoured the streets again before finding and stepping into another drinking house.

She found him seated in a corner table. The table was completely covered by bottles of wine. She walked up to him and took the seat across from him.

"Ye Hua ..." She said

"You love him." He spat out with a brief glance at her face

Bai Qian took a deep breath "Like I love my father or Zhe Yan"

Without looking up, Ye Hua took another swig from the bottle, dumped some money on the table and tried to stand. She caught him as he started to fall and muttered under her breathe when he tried to push her away. She guided him out of the drinking house and back to their house where he promptly fell asleep.

She undressed and cleaned him, taking extra care to tend to the wounds he'd forgotten to tend to on his own then did the same with herself. It wasn't anywhere near what they needed or what Zhe Yan would be able to do but it took the edge off the pain and kept the blood inside their body. She sat beside him while he slept, fighting the urge to sleep herself in case he woke up and went out on his own again.

He awoke a few hours later

"Here" she said, handing him a cup of tea.

"Thank you"

"We need to talk" she said, standing at the foot of the  bed

"There's nothing to talk about" Ye Hua replied. He sat up and waited a few seconds for his head to stop pounding.

"Remember the vows we made the last time we were here?"

"Was that what you were going to tell me then? That you were in love with Mo Yuan not me? That I was just a replacement for him?" He'd stood up and was layering on his robes.

"What?! No! why would you think that?"

"You love him, that much is clear and you admitted it. I look a lot like him, which makes me an easy substitute for him in your heart"

"That's ridiculous!" Bai Qian cried.

"Is it? It's been 70,000 years and you will still wipe out an entire army for him and I suppose it's just coincidence that after 70,000 years of solitude, you 'fell in love' with another man that looks exactly like him"

"You don't even look that much alike!"

"Yes, how could I forget. Our eyes don't match"

Bai Qian took a deep breath, covered her face with both hands and sank onto the bed. Ye Hua felt his insides tighten, he swore silently before walking back to her and wrapping his arms around her. He was angry but he didn't want to hurt her and hadn't he already decided he would rather have her in his life even as a substitute for another than have her out of his life?

"what I feel towards Shifu is different from what I feel towards you. Shifu saved my life and that  is in part why he lost his life. I owe him a lot and I like to pay my debts." Bai Qian started, tears already running down her face

"You ..."

"Let me finish, fourth brother always says I'm a dimwit when it comes to personal affairs and emotions. I think he may be right. Shifu bore my immortal ascension trial after he fought the ghost army to rescue me and ninth disciple. Then the war started and Xuan Nu whom I was responsible for stole the war plans. When Shifu had to give up his spirit for the empire bell, I knew it was my fault and I had to find a way to make things right. I love Shifu, my feelings for him are that of filial piety. You are the only one I'm in love with. I don't know if your looks have anything to do with it but you should remember, I was mortal and without my memories when we met so there is no way I would have been looking for someone who looked like him. That's all I wanted to say, if you want me to get out of your life now, I'll go. It'll be hard because I love you but I want you to be happy not drinking away your life so if I need to suffer to make that I happen, I'm willing to do it." She said through tears

Ye Hua tipped her face towards him and kissed her like his life depended on it.