Chapter 26

"That about covers it all" Zhe Yan said, speaking for the first time during the now somber dinner. "Xiao Wu, I'd like to get the artificial eyes I gave you out of your head tonight. I fear they might explode soon"

Bai Qian felt the flood of concern in the room as Zhe Yan waved his hands towards her, taking away the cloaking magic on her eyes.

"That looks awful. How are you able to see at all? Dijun asked when the rest of the room was still in shocked silence.

"I'm using my cultivation to see. I lost sight in the eyes a few days ago. I think they might be rotting from the inside which would explain the pain"

"Heavenly lord, we need to expedite the retrieval of Xiao Wu's eyes." Fox king said looking directly at the heavenly lord who nodded in response and sent for the medicine king as Zhe Yan refused to be involved in the treatment of Su Jin.

While they waited in clusters, Bai Qian walked to a silently sobbing Le Xu "I wanted to let you know that I know everything you did was out of love for Ye Hua. I know there are lots of rules in the nine heavens and that you are a stickler for those rule which restrict what you are able to do regardless of what you want to do. Even though I will never be able to live by the rules as you do or make up for the hurt you believe I've caused your son, I understand the way you feel, I'd probably feel the same if this was A-Li and I hope that for the sake of the ones we both love, we can be a family unit even if we have different approaches to life's event"

Le Xu nodded at her "I am not a high ranking goddess or a queen of her own territory, I don't have the room to maneuver around rules like you do or even the power to figure out how to maneuver it. But I did the best I could for my son"

Bai Qian nodded causing the pool of pus and blood in her eye to roll down her cheeks. Le Xu reached out to wipe it as a sharp scream cut through the hall followed by loud wailing.

Zhe Yan took the eyes from the heavenly lord "I'll cleanse these overnight and return them to the rightful owner tomorrow. I'll take my leave now"

There was a chorus of agreements as everyone started to get up and leave. Ye Hua took his wife's hand and started walking towards the exit

"You look tired" He whispered

"I am tired. It's a lot of effort to see and to keep the pain back enough to hear what anyone is saying." she whispered back

"Zhe Yan gave you something for the pain. Didn't you take it?" His voice, though still a whisper was sharp with concern

"It's worn off. My mother has her angry face on, we should go see what it is about"

"Xiao Wu" the fox queen began "why didn't you tell us your eyes were that bad?"

"Mother would have rushed in here demanding the return of her eyes from Su Jin and caused a ruckus. I think she handled it well" Fourth brother said

"But you have us for a reason ..."

"That's why I invited everyone tonight, mother. This was my fight but I couldn't do it without all of you supporting me" Bai Qian said

"And Ye Hua..."

"He didn't know how bad it was" Bai Qian rushed to defend her husband. Her mother was both very protective and very unpredictable

"How is that even possible?"

"Mother, I learnt cloaking magic from you. Wouldn't you surprised if he could see past it?"

"You kept this from your own husband?"

"I was afraid he'd do the same thing you'd do."

The fox queen looked at Ye Hua then smiled appreciatively. "I believe you're in good hands then"

They said their goodbyes and went back to peach palace where Zhe Yan met them the next morning.

"There, all set" Zhe Yan said as he traced his hand over Bai Qian's eyelids

"Open your eyes, Qian Qian" Ye Hua said turning her towards him as he choked back tears

Bai Qian took a deep breath then fluttered her eyes open and shut down the magic she'd been using to see. She placed her hands on Ye Hua's face and wiped away the silent tears that ran down his cheeks. "I told you, you'd be the first thing they see again." she whispered. Ye Hua laughed through the tears and gathered her into his arms.

"My work here is done" Zhe Ya said. Reminding them he was still in the room and had no intention of witnessing the reunion between husband and wife.

"High god Zhe Yan, Ye Hua is in your debt" Ye Hua said

"Thank you, old Phoenix" Bai Qian followed up with a smile.

"Speaking of, I had a reason for visiting you earlier and although it got overshadowed by the events of the last few days, it is still relevant."

"What is it?" Ye Hua asked

"Mo Yuan is waking up. In a matter of days or weeks at most" Zhe Yan replied

Zhe Yan turned around to look at the couple who had said nothing since he made his announcement. Bai Qian stared at him with tears in her eyes, her disbelief was clear on her face while Ye Hua looked intensely at his wife as if he was trying to understand what she was feeling. There was clearly some issues to be worked out between the couple and Mo Yuan. He didn't envy them, even he was confused about the situation but he knew things Bai Qian did not know, things he thought Ye Hua suspected both as a man and as someone in love with Bai Qian. They would sort it out, he had faith in both men, Bai Qian on the other hand would probably never know. That thought brought a smile to his face.

"What? Nothing to say? I thought you'd be excited. You've waited 70,000 years for this?" he asked

"Are you sure?" Bai Qian asked

"Of course, I'm sure"

"Is there anything we need to do?" Ye Hua asked

"No" Zhe Yan said with a smile "we have to wait for the day he chooses to wake"