Chapter 14

Ye Hua watched his wife sleep. They'd been married a few months and watching her sleep was one of the most enjoyable perks of marriage. It was the anniversary of the day she jumped, he wondered if she knew. As a mortal, she hadn't been able to keep track of the immortal calendar and it'd taken her a while to wake up as an immortal. 

Because he'd watched her sleep so many times, he knew the nightmare had started a split second before her fists started pummeling the bed. It was always the same scene...

You believe me, don't you? ... Ye Hua? ... I didn't push her... No, don't come...

Ye Hua pulled her into his arms and kissed her awake. He felt her heart beat begin to slow. She never wanted to talk about the scene that plagued her dreams multiple times a week claiming he wasn't ready. It broke his heart in a way he wasn't sure anything else could

"Qian Qian, talk to me"

She kissed his cheeks and twisted in his arms, turning her back to him.

"Qian Qian"

"You're not..."

"I'm ready. I have to watch you relive the pain almost every other night. I'm sorry I took your eyes, it was the only way I could think of to save your life. I'm sorry I betrayed your love and your trust. I'm sorry I wasn't there when you had A-Li. I'm sorry for everything you went through as a mortal except for loving you. I could never be sorry for that. I love you and I will always love you. I want to get your eyes back but I don't want you to go through the pain of having them replaced again. I want you to talk to me so we don't end up like we did the last time when I did not talk to you" He took a deep breath then continued "I can't stand to see you in pain even if I'm the cause of that pain"

She wiped the tears from her eyes, turned back to face him, kissed and wiped the tears off his cheeks.

"You're so good at sweet talk"

"I mean every word"

"I know... Ye Hua, I want my eyes back and I want justice"

"I'll get them for you"

She smiled "We'll get them, I don't sit on the sidelines. You were the last thing they saw, you'll be the first they see again"

They spent the rest of the night planning and strategizing. Ye Hua thought she was being too bold, she thought he was being too subtle but by morning, they a plan they both mostly agreed with.

"Qian Qian, you're making mistakes on the scroll"

"It's your fault. You kept me up all night"

"Not for the reason I'd have loved" He leaned over and kissed her head "I'll send for wash water and tea"

She felt like she had fought a sizable war, this might be her first nine heavens dinner party but it was also likely to be her last. She'd spent the entire day figuring out things she'd never considered before. Who cares the order in which the food and entertainment were served? And why did everyone need a separate table when they were couples in the group? Nine heavens had too many restriction, she was willing to bet that someone would notice at least one mistake during the dinner but she was too tired to worry about it.

She looked down at her outfit as she waited to greet arriving family members hoping Ye Hua got there before others. There was a limit to her capacity for small talk and respectful smiles especially towards people who owed her an enormous emotional debt.

"You look great." She smiled under her veil, letting out the breath she didn't know she was holding when Ye Hua whispered softly in her ears.

"This hall has never looked so good" He said more loudly seconds before the heavenly lord and his parents entered the hall.

What followed was a flurry of greetings, bows, nods, small talks that didn't abate when Lian Song and Su Jin joined the group. Once every one was seated with their meals and the servants had been excused, Bai Qian thanked them for welcoming her to the family and offered gifts - luminous pearls - to everyone.

Heavenly lord thanked her for the gifts and the chatter started, focused mostly on Ye Hua's accomplishments and the not-so-subtle hints that they expected a baby from the couple soon. Ye Hua had smiled at that replied that they were working hard at it which caused her to blush hard. His grandfather had smiled while his uncle laughed really hard. Su Jin looked like she was about to die.

"Did you get hurt fighting Qing Cang?" Ye Hua's father asked.

"You ask because of the veil. I did get hurt but it was nothing permanent nor was it my face. I cover my face because people outside Qing Qiu tend to stare at me all the time. I find the stares annoying so I avoid it by wearing a veil which is also annoying but less so than having everyone stare at me. Since we're all family here now, I can take it off for the night" Bai Qian replied, slipping off the veil.

Su Su

She wasn't sure who it escaped from but they all looked like they'd seen a ghost.

"Ye Hua, your family stares" She said to Ye Hua, pouring him another cup of wine.

"Your reputation is well deserved. You truly are the most beautiful woman in all the realms. It's difficult to imagine anyone being more beautiful" Lian Song said

"You are very kind, third uncle. But I think Su Jin has the most beautiful eyes" she replied looking at the heavenly lord. She saw his face harden and heard Su Jin's gasp

"I miss the Qing Qiu days of walking around freely and I'm considering dropping the veil, after all this is now my home" She continued, keeping her gaze on the heavenly lord.

"You are the crown princess of heaven, you are free to do as you will" the heavenly lord replied. Bai Qian smiled, nodded in gratitude and turned to face Su Jin.

"Ye Hua, you never told me what your god ascension trial was" she asked, without shifting her gaze.  

Heavenly lord took the bait and soon they were regaling her with more stories of Ye Hua's exploits.

The game had started. She thought to herself as she smiled in response to the conversation