Chapter 9

Eren P.O.V

I woke up with a jolt, the panic gnawing at my chest and gripping my heart with uncontrollable terror. Sweat rolled down my face as my breathing tried to steady itself, and the pup leapt on to my lap and stood up on his hind legs before placing his paws on my chest to look at me face to face.

I gently placed a hand on the back of his little head and one on his back before pulling him close to me as if he were a stuffed animal.

It's a dream... It's a dream... It's not real...

He attacked my face in licks, making me burst out into hysterics as he tickled my cheeks. I lightly pushed him off of me and set him on the foot of my bed before wiping my feet and swinging my legs over the edge of the bed.

Time for another day of work. Let's go!

I leapt up and ran to my closet before swinging open the door and seeing my uniform hanging there like always. I threw it on over on, seeing as how I only slept in my boxers and ran to the bathroom before brushing my teeth with one hand and combing out my lion mane of hair with a flimsy comb.

It broke so I resorted to a brush, and I brushed the tangles out before running back to my bed and grabbing a side of the comforter. I held it high in the air before throwing it back down.

The top wasn't as smooth as a tranquil pond, but rather a very disturbed ocean, but it'll do. I grabbed my shoes and placed them on before the pup ran up to me. I looked down and he barked.

I panicked and rushed to shush him. He went quiet at the look of panic on my face, and I hugged the little guy. "I'll be back later, ok," I said as I kissed his forehead. He tilted his head and licked my cheek. "Gross," I muttered with a smile and set him down before walking to the door. "Bye," I whispered with a wave as I walked into the hallway, ready for another day.

Ready-ish.

-+~•~+-

"Good morning!" I exclaimed in a chirpy voice as I walked inside of Levi's study. He gave me a glance of acknowledgement, and I smiled. Then he lost interest and looked back down."Alrighty then." I mumbled, and apparently, that triggered a memory or something because he looked up.

"That map you marked for me," he started, and I looked over my shoulder at him. "It works very well and it's also correct. Don't friends usually say..." he trailed off, probably from embarrassment and the reluctance to say the two words.

I chuckled at his stupid facade. "Thank you." I finished for him, and he nodded. "That's it. Anyways, I need you to do this stuff for me today, and in exchange, I'll see if I can get you some food from yesterdays feast." He said, and I nodded furiously, the thought of food making me ecstatic with energy.

He gave me a list, and it was the usual stuff, get him library books, help clean the dining hall, sweep the floor of his study, that kind of stuff. I smiled and bowed before grabbing the door handle and turning it. "Thank you." I said from over my shoulder."For what?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. "Tch. For being my friend. I guess I forgot to say that until now." I said with a kind smile. I shut the door, not seeing his flustered expression.

-+~•~+-

After leaving his study from delivering his books, I made my way to the dining hall with a broom in my hand and a mop with a bucket in the other. When I got there, a dozen other servants or so we're there too, just mopping or sweeping the floor and moving furniture out of the way. I took the far right corner and started to sweep dust, dead bugs, and discarded food from off the floor.

I drifted off into thought as I moved my arms in the same repetitive movement.

Right, left, right, left, right, left...