Chapter 24

Eren P.O.V

My eyes fluttered open and the first thing I noticed was that I was on a comfy mattress and had a thick, warm blanket draped over my body.

The confusion hit me first, seeing as how I didn't remember my bed being soft and not mushy, but then I looked around and realized I didn't even recognize the place.

Someone opened the door and I looked over to lock eyes with a maid. She smiled and shut the door before I heard her footsteps fade away. I felt my cheek and sure enough, my fingers grazed the bandage on it. I frowned as I recalled the events from yesterday, and I sighed before pulling my knees up to my chest.

The door opened a few minutes later and to my utter surprise, it wasn't the maid. The princess walked in, a light blue sleeveless dress adorning her body and not to mention the glistening tiara she was never seen without. Her beautiful black hair was in her usual long pigtails dropping over her shoulders, and she was as beautiful as always.

Fear overwhelmed me and I backed up against the headboard."Please..." she whispered, making me stiffen. "Can I sit here?" She asked, pointing to the foot of the bed I was resting on.

I was completely and utterly confused but nonetheless nodded. She slowly sat down, dipping the mattress as she did so, and I heard her sigh and saw her shoulders droop."I..." she trailed off, and quickly composed herself. "I nearly died yesterday." She murmured, I nodded. "But you saved my life. Twice. Why?" She asked, and I frowned."It didn't feel right. If I had just let you die I would've hated myself and I couldn't live with that..." I slowly replied. She nodded."I see. Even after all I've done, you still risked your own life to save mine. That is quite admirable." She said, and I flushed red at the compliment, mostly because it seemed genuine."I came here to say a few things and get some stuff off my chest..." she paused and turned to look at me before she stood up.

Then she bowed."I'm sorry!" She exclaimed, and the shock that coursed through my body nearly made me gasp."When you came to the castle, you were so... kind, and pretty and you seemed incredibly smart and I just couldn't help but feel... jealous." She admitted, and I took a double-take.

A princess. Jealous? Of me?!

Then she stood back up and stared at me straight in the eyes. "And thank you. My life was spared yesterday because of your heroic actions, and I can't help but feel eternally grateful for your actions." She said, and I flushed again, but I smiled this time."It's not a big deal. Don't mention it-" she cut me off as she clenched her fists and shouted, "Yes it is!" I frowned as she looked up at me, her eyes filled with tears."I was so awful to you, and you showed me more kindness in a time span of ten minutes than I've ever experienced in my entire life! Just the very thought of how horrible I was to you brings me to tears, and you are the most caring and amazing person I've ever met and I just can't..." she trailed off as she spun around and sat on the foot of the bed again, burying her face in her palms.

I tilted my hand in confusion, not knowing how to react to this. "I guess I just..." she trailed off and sighed. "I never really got... affection... from father and mother, and I've never met anyone my own age, so when Levi showed up I guess I was kind of... clingy. I wanted to experience more love and hung on to him like crazy. It wasn't fair of me to put him in that position, but I didn't care at the time. Then I saw you... the way he looked at you... I was so angry that I blew up and insulted you and I even slapped you, and I'm so so incredibly sorry... it was wrong and I really do regret it. I can only hope you'll forgive me." She looked at me with blotchy cheeks and slightly messed up hair when she finished, making me flush red."I..." I trailed off, not knowing how to respond in the slightest.

"Levi doesn't look at me in any way that would threaten your relationship with him, I can assure you. And of course, I forgive you. I used to be just like you when I was younger... I wanted what I wanted and if someone got in my way they were on my hit list." This made her chuckle as she wiped at her cheeks. "And... I just did what was right. That doesn't make me admirable. I'm anything but a hero. I'm shy, clumsy, idiotic at times, and other things. I'm just... average." I said, and she looked at me shocked."You are none of those things, miss. Shy? Yes. Clumsy? I have seen no evidence of such a thing. Idiotic? Most Definitely not. You are a kind person and I am forever grateful to you and your golden heart." She said one final time before bowing again.

ServantOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara