Chapter 27

Eren P.O.V

I stumbled down the hall as I tried not to drop the stack of books I was holding for Levi. My knees grew weaker with every step, and I thought I would crumble at any moment. Then I turned a sharp corner, and sure enough, I banged into a piece of furniture.

Except it went 'oof'.

I tripped over the "furniture" and fell to the floor, dropping all of the books I had been holding. When I groaned and crawled back up, I turned around to see the back of the head of a little boy with tanned skin and dark brown hair. Then he turned around. He was clearly blind from the cane he had been carrying."Oh my, Maria! I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed as I gathered my books together and helped him up, grabbing his cane and handing it to him as well.

He struggled to regain his surroundings but then I heard him make a set of weird clicking sounds with his tongue. Then I remembered hearing about this kind of thing."Echolocation?" I whispered, and the kid looked up at me, seemingly shocked."How did you know?" He asked, surprising me by how deep his voice sounded for an eight-year-old."Oh! Uh, sorry! I just read about it somewhere. Are you alright?" I asked, and he nodded before smiling."My names Leo! What about you?" He asked, and I smiled even though he couldn't see. "Eren." I replied, and he nodded."That's a nice name mister!" He exclaimed as he held his hand out in front of him.

I shook his hand, but then I noticed his outfit. He was wearing a rose-red jacket over a white shirt, both made with fine fabric. Then he had a small dagger tied around his waist by his belt and a pair of dress shorts with black shoes. He was clearly the son of a man with power."Well, Leo, I heard you're from Trost." I said as I picked up my books."That's right! I wish I could actually see it though, I've heard it's beautiful." He said with a sigh."Oh... well, I'm sure you're imagination is better than the real deal anyways." I said, and he beamed. "I hope so." He replied, his smile still evident.

I smiled back before moving my hair and walking towards the stack of books. I placed my hand on the top but stiffened when Leo set his little hand on my own. His warm palm rested on the back of my hand as he stared at me.

For a moment, I thought he could see me. He stared into my eyes for a moment before he smiled, his brown eyes glistening with happiness."You have a colour!" He exclaimed, and I tilted my head in confusion."What do you mean?" I asked, and he giggled. "Papa said that people with colours had kind hearts! You're a really pretty green and gold!" He explained, and I giggled myself."Well, thank you, Leo." I said, and he nodded."You sound pretty." He said with a smile before he walked away, somehow making me blush.

I softly smiled at his retreating figure as he slung his cane over his shoulder, not even using it, and clicked his tongue to listen to it bounce off the walls.

-+~•~+-

I stood by Levi as the king had a meeting with the man from Trost, whose name turned out to be Alphonse, and he explained his fruitless search."We have approached every woman in Shiganshina with our amulet, yet nothing seems to be showing up. I came here to humbly apologize for unintentionally taking advantage of the kindness you bestowed upon my son and me." The man said, motioning toward a Leo, who was pretending to be sad, which made me hold back a giggle.

King Kenny nodded, clearly slightly annoyed with the outcome, but then I thought of something.

The book said something about a princess but what if..."What if the records are incorrect..." I whispered, so quiet that no one could hear.

But Levi did.

"What if the records are incorrect." He suggested, repeating my statement for me, which made me blush."Might I ask what you mean?" Alphonse's questioned, and Levi smirked."Records are wrong all the time. You think someone is dead, but they've been alive the whole time. People have been recorded being charged for a crime, but in the end, they were actually acquitted." Levi said, and the man tilted his head."I'm not sure I'm following..." he murmured, and Levi sighed.